Vermonter
    Mar 2007

Silca Super Pista pump

I'm thinking of replacing the gauge. Does anyone know if the current gauge fits the older pumps that had a rectangular base as opposed to the current pyramid shaped base?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just replaced the gauge on my Super Pista. The new gauge has different graphics on the front but otherwise was a perfect fit. It appears to just be a standard 1/8" NPT (or some metric standard) fitting. My Super Pista is like 15 years old.

While you're at it, consider replacing the leather washer in the barrel and the rubber washer in the head. They are cheap parts.

Vermonter
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nhluhr View Post
    I just replaced the gauge on my Super Pista. The new gauge has different graphics on the front but otherwise was a perfect fit. It appears to just be a standard 1/8" NPT (or some metric standard) fitting. My Super Pista is like 15 years old.

While you're at it, consider replacing the leather washer in the barrel and the rubber washer in the head. They are cheap parts.
    Thanks for the information nhluhr. I think my pump is close to 15 years old as well. They last forever. I did replace the leather washer and rubber washer in the pump head. I seem to require more pressure to plunge the handle and I lubricated the leather washer with vaseline so it must be something else causing the added friction.

Got any ideas or suggestions?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would guess the one-way valve at the base is constricted with goop. This part is replaceable as well but you might be able to just clean it. I know there is a recommended oil for the leather washer and I don't think it's vaseline.

The owner's manual on their website says to use "grease" and definitely not anything that is liquid at room temp (like 3-in-1 oil).

http://www.silcapompe.it/instruction-silca/AWVM0155.pdf

The manual lists some troubleshooting steps and shows exploded diagrams and maintenance procedures.

Vermonter
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nhluhr View Post
    I would guess the one-way valve at the base is constricted with goop. This part is replaceable as well but you might be able to just clean it. I know there is a recommended oil for the leather washer and I don't think it's vaseline.

The owner's manual on their website says to use "grease" and definitely not anything that is liquid at room temp (like 3-in-1 oil).

http://www.silcapompe.it/instruction-silca/AWVM0155.pdf

The manual lists some troubleshooting steps and shows exploded diagrams and maintenance procedures.
    Thanks for the Silca schematic, very instructive. Should I need to buy parts for my pump, do you have a good source for them?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Test!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I've always been able to pick up Silca pump parts over the counter at local shops. If that's not the case in your area, try Loose Screws Bicycle Small Parts Bicycle Parts for the Home Mechanic.