RoadBikeReview Member

Sinking Saddle: new Ultegra seatpost too slick?

Just got back from a 40 mile ride and my 27.2 Ultegra seatpost was slipping down noticeably on my Flyte SRS-3 aluminum frame.

Previously I had the stock Flyte seatpost on that which is the same size 27.2 but has a slightly rough shot peened black anodized finish. The Flyte frame is decent craftsmanship for a Chinese frame but the seat tube is slotted in the front for the seatpost collar. The standard issue collar clamp was tighted down really tight, almost to the point where the clamp was maxed out and couldn't go any tighter.

When I first assembled the bike I greased the seat tube generously and some of that grease was on the Ultegra 6500 post. I wiped off most of the grease and really torqued the clamp down while on my last stretch of my circuit back home. Unfortunately, the saddle height is lower again now that I'm home though not as bad as before.

I did order a Salsa "Lip Lock" 31.8 seat collar but haven't gotten it yet. These look a little better than the little cheapy clamp that was on there.

Any suggestions on how to eliminate the creeping seatpost? Is the Salsa collar something I can really tighten down? Or should I try to fit some shim stock in there? I like the silver color of the Ultegra post and hope to use this one, I guess if I have to, I'll go back to the Flyte post though.

Thanks for any input.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Try no grease and some "extra hold" hairspray... seriously...it works
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    The hairspray trick has been mentioned here before, so try that, but I think when you get the new seat collar your problem will be fixed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    I had a similer problem. Here's what I did. I taped off a small section of the seatpost (about an inche wide) at the spot where it's clamped and sprayed on a light coat of black paint. While it was still wet I spinkled on a very light coat of a gritty substance. After it dried I sprayed on another coat of paint. I used rustoleum paint that looked like anodized metal. Be careful, the layer you add needs to be really thin. I ended up having to sand mine down a bit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got the Dura Ace post and it has a similar finish. My saddle slid back on the rails until I used some of that assembly paste on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They sell a specific lube for seat posts that has little balls in it that when you tighten down the clamp it locks the post in. grease on seat post is useless, it will always slip down,causing you to overtighten the clamp and ovalize the seat post and frame... Just goto your local bike shop and ask for a tube of the seat post lube stuff. Cant recall what it was called, but I think FSA makes it ? .
    Mud or Asphalt ? It's all good !!!!!!!!!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Update : The seat tube on my Flyte was too oversized to use the Ultegra 27.2 post. It did hold OK with the Salsa Liplock and a little slice of .010" shim stock but it was bugging me so I opted for a proper cure. I purchased a Thomson seatpost in 27.4 size and my LBS used an adjustable reamer to ream out the tube for a good fit. Now it slides up and down easily but not so loosely as before. The Thomson silver post has little ridges machined into it which probably helps also.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Toothpaste works well....smells nice too :P