RoadBikeReview Member

SKS Raceblades long, what was I thinking?

I was so impressed by the quick release feature of these fenders that I bought them on an impulse buy. No more rubber band thingy's and it is long in the back.
    After they were on I did a "pretend you have a flat exercise" and then I realized what a hassle taking off the wheel now is. First I have to unscrew the quick release all the way and try not to loose any parts. With the fender flopping around I must take the wheel off and lay the bike down.
    I can just see myself on the side of a road in grass or mud and loosing part of my quick release and being stranded.
    30 years of just releasing the skewer and wapping the wheel off is all I know.
    They are going back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    You know can unclip the fender from the 2 little clips that are on the skewer? My wife has had to do that once or twice and hasn't had any trouble.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    I put my bike in the car all of the time and have to remove the front wheel with Raceblades. Release the fender from where it mounts by the brake first. Release the tabs at the quick release and take the fender off completely. I have never had to unscrew the quick release all of the way to have parts come off.
    Don't mind me, it's just the online disinhibition effect typing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe it depends on how much space you have for fender clearance. On my 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe I can just push the fender to one side, but I have lots of clearance and cantilever brakes that open quite wide. On regular road bikes with narrow forks and stays and side pull brakes space could be a problem; so SKS made something called Securi-clips. These clips attached to the dropout eyelets, then the fenders bracket clips into the Securi-clip. Once these things are installed you simply pull them out to disengaged the fender and push back in to engage, also if something by chance gets stuck between the tire and the fender the fender will disengage to prevent damage to the fender. These will only work with SKS brand my understanding is, and the big thing about these...their cheap at about $3 for the pair.

Look them on the internet to see if they will work for yours, I think they do.

SKS Securi-clips: explanation at http://sheldonbrown.com/fenders.html - YouTube

Also sometimes they squeak as they get older, just put a small amount of silicone on the end of the fender stay and insert. Just make sure the silicone is the kind that stays pliable; or you can wrap several layers of plumbers tape around the ends.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
    ... First I have to unscrew the quick release all the way and try not to loose any parts. ....
    Basically, no. Unclip the fender from the tabs on the rear skewer, leave the tabs on the skewer and the skewer in the hub, and remove the wheel as usual. Put the wheel back in the dropouts, clip the fender stays onto the tabs, tighten skewer and ride off. Easy peasy. No loose parts. Duh?
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ok, now I get it. Unclick the tabs first, duh. I woke up this morning thinking about that.
    Now I think that I am keeping the fenders.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
    Ok, now I get it. Unclick the tabs first, duh. I woke up this morning thinking about that.
    Now I think that I am keeping the fenders.
    Good decision; I don't think there's any better fenders out there for skinny tire calliper brake road bikes.
    Argon 18
    Ridley
    Brodie