RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

SLK MegaExo Bearing Question.

I have a very annoying creak coming from my bottom bracket. I took the cranks off and noticed the drive side bearing was stuck to the crank and not pressed into the cup any longer. I pressed it back into the cup (went in easy - too easy). Test ride around the block, creak was gone. First real ride today - every time I stand and pedal very loud creak. When I sit I can not duplicate the creak even on hard efforts. So, I am guessing the bearings or cups are compromised due to the ease of pressing the bearings back in. I assume this is not normal to be able to press in bearings by hand. Anyone have this problem with FSA cranks? Would this most likely be the cause of my creak?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by RM27; 07-04-2007 at 04:34 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

???

Your description does not quite make sense to me, since there is normally a large diameter spacer between the bearings to prevent any movement of the bearings and the bearing cup is not open on the right (drive) side.

At any rate, you've got several options. Try greasing the inside of the cup and the outside of the bearing when assembling. Another option is to use a special loctite to secure the bearing in the cup.

The FSA website has revised instruction for installing this crank. The loctite product specified to use on the spindle would probably work on the bearing cup also, but both must be free of any grease or oil before this product is used.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/downlo...4-07%20PDF.pdf

Another option is to just get a new BB, since they are cheap. Depends how much you think your time is worth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    Your description does not quite make sense to me, since there is normally a large diameter spacer between the bearings to prevent any movement of the bearings and the bearing cup is not open on the right (drive) side.

At any rate, you've got several options. Try greasing the inside of the cup and the outside of the bearing when assembling. Another option is to use a special loctite to secure the bearing in the cup.

The FSA website has revised instruction for installing this crank. The loctite product specified to use on the spindle would probably work on the bearing cup also, but both must be free of any grease or oil before this product is used.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/downlo...4-07%20PDF.pdf

Another option is to just get a new BB, since they are cheap. Depends how much you think your time is worth.
    Thanks for the response. Obviously I am not explaining it right. The complete race/spacer were out of the cup and stuck to the spindle when I removed the crank.

Seems easiest/best option is to just order replacement B Bracket.