RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014

Sluggish Shimano 105 FD

I have had this bicycle for about 2 years and the group is 10sp Shimano 105.

The front derailleur has become quite sluggish dropping down from big to small chainring. Before you say cables, I believe low and high gear limit screws to be adjusted correctly and so I disconnected the cable entirely to check movement of the FD. If I move the FD outward by hand, it doesn't always snap back all the way to the low limit. I can ultimately nudge it back down by hand.

So...about 2 years of use and the derailleur linkage or spring seems to be worn out? I have always had Campagnolo and have Chorus FDs that are still going strong after 20 years of use.

Am I missing something or is this all I can expect from Shimano 105?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    I have had this bicycle for about 2 years and the group is 10sp Shimano 105.

The front derailleur has become quite sluggish dropping down from big to small chainring. Before you say cables, I believe low and high gear limit screws to be adjusted correctly and so I disconnected the cable entirely to check movement of the FD. If I move the FD outward by hand, it doesn't always snap back all the way to the low limit. I can ultimately nudge it back down by hand.

So...about 2 years of use and the derailleur linkage or spring seems to be worn out? I have always had Campagnolo and have Chorus FDs that are still going strong after 20 years of use.

Am I missing something or is this all I can expect from Shimano 105?
    I'd try some WD-40 on the spring/linkage and see if things loosen up.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

'brifter' is a lame word.
    It's dirty, clean it. When is the last time you heard of someone wearing out a front derailleur spring on a 2 year old derailleur. Do you use mix in your bottles? Leave the cap open while riding?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree with the others, think the pivot points are gummed up, had it happen on my old 6600 bike.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I agree with the others, think the pivot points are gummed up, had it happen on my old 6600 bike.
    Yup. I've seen this happen with people who put sugary drinks in their water bottles.

Give the pivot points and spring the good old WD-40 squirt and work it back and forth.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

.je
    JRA FYI
    I have the same groupset and cleaned up the same problem with wd40 too. It might take a couple of tries but it's almost like new after you do.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    It's dirty, clean it. When is the last time you heard of someone wearing out a front derailleur spring on a 2 year old derailleur. Do you use mix in your bottles? Leave the cap open while riding?
    Man, I've got some 50 year old FD's around here, and I've NEVER had a front derailleur spring "wear out", or even break (I've had a RD spring break, but that was on a crappy Huret....still never had a RD sporing "wear out", either....). Spray it with a solvent until it works smoothly, the lubricate it.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks all. I too suspected the pivot points and spring so lubed them and today it was better. But...it really wasn't dirty and my Campy stuff sees a lot more abuse without the FD ever failing to drop down. I will keep an eye on it, but its relative newness made me never suspect a dirt or lubrication problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    Thanks all. I too suspected the pivot points and spring so lubed them and today it was better. But...it really wasn't dirty and my Campy stuff sees a lot more abuse without the FD ever failing to drop down. I will keep an eye on it, but its relative newness made me never suspect a dirt or lubrication problem.
    It is possible to partly disassemble the derailleur to clean and lube most of the key pivoting points. And the parts that don't come apart can be saturated with oil and worked back and forth to free them up. It will be like having a new derailleur.

Spring steel simply does not wear out in any meaningful way in this application.