Thread: SM-BTR2 cable?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

SM-BTR2 cable?

I was preparing my bike to ship, when I removed the seat post the battery became disconnected. Iím guessing when I ordered the 6870 internal group it came with a short battery cable. I donít know how the shop managed to install the group but I need a longer battery cable. Is the PN of the cable the same as all the other cables just longer. Iím guessing I need 1000mm.

Now that I yanked the battery out, should that have damaged anything and will I need a special tool to disconnect the short cable and install a longer one?

Thanks

'brifter' is a lame word.
    There is a special connect/disconnect tool, it's not absolutely necessary but you reduce the chance of screwing up a wire/connector if you use it. You will likely need to pull your crank and bottom bracket out of the frame to get to the b junction box but it depends on the frame.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I pulled the crank out and ordered the BB tool. Are all the wires the same basic part numbers and then you specify length?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
    I pulled the crank out and ordered the BB tool. Are all the wires the same basic part numbers and then you specify length?
    Yup. part number is SM50. For a seatpost battery cable you probably don't need 1M of cable for that cable.

Did the cable come disconnected from the battery or the junction. If you have a long pair of tweezers, you could probably get the cable fished out of the frame so long as it is still connected to the junction.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    If you can get the cable close enough to the to of the seat tube, you could use the EW-JC200 two port junction with a second shorter wire going to the battery.

Or, alternatively, you could install the EW-WU111 two port wireless unit in place of the junction if you don't already have a DFly/Bluetooth unit.

I've use a piece of wire coat hangar with the end bent in a tight V shape to get the wire pulled up to the top of the seat tube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Thanks everyone. Turns out the mechanic who installed the group installed the junction box facing the wrong way. The seat tube battery wire was facing up the down tube. After I repositioned the junction the battery cable was plenty long enough.