RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

Sora Right Shifter problem

The right shimano sora shifter on my wife's bike only works intermittently to up shift. Must make multiple efforts to move the small shifter lever to the left before it catches and triggers a gear shift. Already tried flushing the unit and I recognize that sora shifters have problems in general, but was wondering if there are any other fix recommendations other than upgrading.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Check for broken or frayed cable. This will cause problems when releasing cable to move to a smaller cog..
    Check cable tension. If it is too tight, it may not release tension properly.
    FWIW, I have gotten outstanding service from my Sora drivetrain. 15,800 miles so far and still going.
    Good luck with your repairs.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    What gearloose says. There are no "problems in general" with those Sora shifters. Also look closely at how the shifting is done: if you move the brake lever along with the paddle even just a bit, the paddle will not work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Sounds like it could be that the factory grease has begun to harden up. Spray some chain cleaner through the shift cable hole and work the shifter until it catches in all gears. Let that chain cleaner dry out, and spray a little lube in there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks gearloose, wim and 202cycle for the helpful recommendations. Will give these repairs a try and do a follow up post if I get glitches.