Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010

Sora STIs fit 105/ ultegra brakes!

I recently purchased a Giant Contender that came with Tektro traditional brakes.... they suck... im looking to upgrade to a set of 105s or Ultegras... is there any reason they would not work with my current Sora STI setup? I read that certain shifters will not work but considering I’m not fooling with the drivetrain at all seems as if there would be issue... please elaborate if there would be. Thanks
    Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself- William Faulkner

Road: 2011 Tarmac Comp
    MTB: 2011 Epic Comp 29er
    MTB SS : 2010 Rockhopper Expert
    Trainer : Trek 1000

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I don't see why they wouldn't, but I'm not 100% sure. One thing I have heard is that the performance of Tektro brakes can be significantly improved with different brake pads. You might want to try that first. Maybe just the brake pads suck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This depends on the generation. I know at some point, Shimano changed the pull ratio of their brakes. I think it was from the 5600/6600 generation to the 5700/6700 generation.

How old are your Sora STI shifters?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    One thing I have heard is that the performance of Tektro brakes can be significantly improved with different brake pads. You might want to try that first. Maybe just the brake pads suck.
    And potentially adjustment.

I've had tektro brakes. Probably an older model than you have but they were perfectly fine when set up properly with decent pads. My next brakes on my next bike were Ultegra.....did not notice an improvement.

The cause of poor braking could indeed be the brakes. But I'd investigate pads and set up before jumping to that conclusion. I doubt it's actually the calipers themselves.

Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010
    the bike is a 2018 Giant Contender so everything should be up to date. I have always owned 105 and higher brakes before so im not exactly sure which pads work on these tektros as it seems you replace the whole " hub" instead of just sliding in/out a new piece of pad and putting the retainer bolt back in.
    Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself- William Faulkner

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper006 View Post
    the bike is a 2018 Giant Contender so everything should be up to date. I have always owned 105 and higher brakes before so im not exactly sure which pads work on these tektros as it seems you replace the whole " hub" instead of just sliding in/out a new piece of pad and putting the retainer bolt back in.
    I thought for sure you must be wrong about that. But googled your bike, then the brakes, and yes you're right. Doesn't look like you can just slide in a new pad. As for that style, I wouldn't know where to begin finding 'better' ones either.

Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010
    on that note.... 105s it is!!! the tektros that came in the bike are the cheaper more universal type pad, so im just going to replace the whole calipers and move on.... atleast the front one for sure.