RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008

Specialized BG comfort saddle ?

I am looking for information about either the BG Comfort Saddle or BG Comfort Plus saddle.
    The Comfort is 155mm, the Plus is 180mm.
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqS...lesRec&eid=348
    I am curious if these are heavily padded cushy type saddles or if they are more average padding density, like most BG seats.
    Also, are they flat profile or is the back of the saddle raised ?
    Last edited by DG123; 02-03-2009 at 05:36 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Anybody here seen one of these saddles in a shop or on a bike ?

Quote Originally Posted by DG123
    I am looking for information about either the BG Comfort Saddle or BG Comfort Plus saddle.
    The Comfort is 155mm, the Plus is 180mm.
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqS...lesRec&eid=348
    I am curious if these are heavily padded cushy type saddles or if they are more average padding density, like most BG seats.
    Also, are they flat profile or is the back of the saddle raised ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    given that its listed in the "RECREATIONAL SADDLES" section I'd assume its a squishy comfort bike seat. I don't think a seat that wide is condusive to road biking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    A saddle with that much padding will just get in the way..a better designed "stiff" saddle will actually support your body better, imho...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    I'm not certain the BG comfort saddles are "squishy". Specialized lists their Sonoma model saddles in their recreational category, and those are not at all squishy. As for width, the famous Brooks 17 is 170mm and the Brooks 67 or 68 is 210 mm. Those are on the wide side and used for all kinds of riding.
    I've got a Sonoma 155 now but am changing my bike to make for a more upright posture.
    Swapping the stock stem for a 40* upright rise stem, and maybe getting riser swept handlebars as well. These changes will have me in a pretty upright posture, so I am considering a wider saddle.
    The BG Comfort and Comfort Plus have been in the Specialized line for years, but I've never seen one in a shop or on a bike. If they're not squishy I might like one of those models.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG
    given that its listed in the "RECREATIONAL SADDLES" section I'd assume its a squishy comfort bike seat. I don't think a seat that wide is condusive to road biking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The 'Comfort' was standard on my wife's first bike, a Specialized Crossroads that she loved. Actually, a very nice saddle; well made, soft but not really what I would consider squishy. Not the saddle for weight weenies either. Basically, the 'firmest soft' I've seen and I guess the reason it was and still is a very popular saddle for a novice/recreational rider. I've seen and compared the Comfort Plus and it's toilet seat sized like you would expect on a beach cruiser!

Excellent first saddle just to get them to even ride. Within a year, wife understood and moved up to a still soft Trek WSD she is happy with. Of course, couldn't have told her this a year earlier.

I started with their older "Milano" or something myself and can recommend that for men.
    If I don't know the answer, I just make one up.