RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

Specialized Mondo Pro tires

has anybody ridden on these tires? i am getting a bike that is spec'd with them soon, and for some reason these tires make me nervous. i don't think i would feel comfortable on them on a fast switchback descent. no jusification for my lack of confidence in them, but they scare me for some reason. (i am currently riding Conti GP3000 tires, which i think are great, just fyi.)

who has ridden these tires, and what do you think of them?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer104
    has anybody ridden on these tires? i am getting a bike that is spec'd with them soon, and for some reason these tires make me nervous. i don't think i would feel comfortable on them on a fast switchback descent. no jusification for my lack of confidence in them, but they scare me for some reason. (i am currently riding Conti GP3000 tires, which i think are great, just fyi.)

who has ridden these tires, and what do you think of them?
    I have the Mondo Sports on my Langster, and I have nothing bad to say about them thus far. I am not blown away either, and I have not been much past about 25 mph, and then only occationally, but nothing about them would make me fear going faster, at least on a dry road. I also have an Allez with Mondo Comps, and that I have had at 40 mph, and over 20 on some twisty decents. Never gone down, or felt as if I was about to.

I am curious, is your lack of confidence based on the ride, just something you can't quite put a finger on, or is it something in the lookof them, or what?

Best,
    Gordon

RoadBikeReview Member

I like them.

I've had them on my bike for most of this past season. They replaced a set of Gatorskins that seemed to flat an awful lot. Haven't had a single flat on the Mondos in the 5-6 months I've had them. Bear in mind I ride about 120-150 miles per week, so while I'm not an ultra-milage guy, these do have plenty of miles on them that are problem free. Your fears of them being terrible on windy mountain roads are unfounded. They corner very well, are very sure, and are quite grippy. The best part is you should see the debris that won't puncture that Flak Jacket. Glass, sharp rocks, you name it.

FWIW I'm a big guy (210#) which makes me hard on tires. The Mondos in question are 23c width and I did rotate them once to equalize the wear. I really don't think you'll have a problem with them.

If your new bike were spec'ed with regular Mondos with no Flak Jacket, I'd say you should get new ones. Those tires came on my Langster, and they suck. Flat ALL THE TIME. I'm going to replace them with some Pros, probably in 25c.

Hope that helps.

Brooks K.

RoadBikeReview Member

Good experience with the Pro's so far, But...

FWIW, here is my non-scientific, statistically insignificant input.

I've had very good experience with Michelin Carbons. On my last set I got 3800 miles on the rear before I retired it because the tread was virtually gone. (I did have several sidewall penetration flats.)

Because my LBS had a special going (and for ease of installation, and admittedly aesthetics), I chose to go with the Mondo Pro's. Under similar riding conditions, I've logged 2000 miles on the Pro's, so far without a flat. But unlike the Carbons, the tread and sidewalls are chewed up terribly. To me, it seems like the rubber is much softer -- so while I have not flatted, there are at least 10 seemingly significant cuts in the rear tire, some penetrating down to the carcass. They definitely look like they should be retired. (BTW, I am really bricked up - using thorn-proof tubes AND tire liners.)

I can't wait to wear more tread off the Pro's so I can get Carbons back on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

questions

to answer some questions....

i've never ridden these tires before, but i think what scares me about the Mondo Pros is their funky "motorcycle inspired" profile. i just can't help but get a mental image of myself flying down a mountain and leaning into a switchback at 35mph (putting the tire up onto its weird cornering tread) and having my bike disappear from under me. straight-line speed doesn't worry me with these tires.

i am 5'11/6'0"? and 140 pounds (135 in season), and i am currently riding 23c GP3000s.

i hope i actually like these tires when i ride my new bike for the first time....but i'm keeping my GP3000s from my current bike just in case.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer104
    to answer some questions....

i've never ridden these tires before, but i think what scares me about the Mondo Pros is their funky "motorcycle inspired" profile. i just can't help but get a mental image of myself flying down a mountain and leaning into a switchback at 35mph (putting the tire up onto its weird cornering tread) and having my bike disappear from under me. straight-line speed doesn't worry me with these tires.

i am 5'11/6'0"? and 140 pounds (135 in season), and i am currently riding 23c GP3000s.

i hope i actually like these tires when i ride my new bike for the first time....but i'm keeping my GP3000s from my current bike just in case.
    My understdanding is that the cornering tread is specifically to make cornering better. Sticky rubber on the cornering surfaces, hard rubber in the middle. I would guess that single compound tires would use something in the middle, not as good in the corners, and not as good on the straights, but also not all that bad in either place. Dual compounds should give your better performance in both envelopes.
    I might have concerns about the actual implamentation by Specialized, specifically how the two rubbers transition, but the general concept is not only solid, but proven in motorcycle usage, where MUCH large foreces are in play.
    All that said, one should probably corner a little slower at first, then gradually work up to ones 'normal' speed, then try a little more, and keep going till you actually feel something. But then again, I think I would do that with any new tire, or even new inflation pressure. I have been reading a lot of Sheldon Brown and his low pressure evangelism, and I am planning to drop my pressure a bit next year and see how it feels. Won't be hitting any turns real hard at first tho' ;)

Gordon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Read the thread a few lines above re "New tires"

he wasn't happy with the Mondo Pros...