RoadBikeReview Member

Speedplay Zero adjusting question

I wanted to ask regarding the adjusting float. Which wrench key are you using to turn the 2 adjusting screws on the side of the cleats?

Also is there any way to adjust the attached / reengage level of the pedal to the cleat or it is a fix things (i mean how easy or hard is to release or attaché the pedal to cleat)

Thanks for all comments.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    unless yours are different than the ones i'm holding in my hand right now, it's not a wrench at all...it's a phillips screwdriver that you're looking for.
    there is no way to adjust the engagement tension.they are stiff/tight at first, but break in a bunch after a few rides. follow the instructions, don't overtighten the screws and keep the cleats clean and lubricated.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    unless yours are different than the ones i'm holding in my hand right now, it's not a wrench at all...it's a phillips screwdriver that you're looking for.
    there is no way to adjust the engagement tension.they are stiff/tight at first, but break in a bunch after a few rides. follow the instructions, don't overtighten the screws and keep the cleats clean and lubricated.
    I have zero titanium but I couldn't go in or saw it turn with fillies, do you know size?
    Also where do you lubricant and with what substance?
    Thanks David

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Butter works best imho

'brifter' is a lame word.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dudigrinfeld View Post
    I have zero titanium but I couldn't go in or saw it turn with fillies, do you know size?
    Also where do you lubricant and with what substance?
    Thanks David
    I use a #1 philips for adjustment
    I spray just a little DuPont Multi-Use Lubricant with Teflon on the spring in the cleat every couple of rides. The wear on the cleats is under the outer metal plate where the spring rides.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is it common to those of you who deal with the Zero to have it difficult to turn the float adjustment screw because it a bit stuck and it grained the screw head? I got a new cleats and 1 out of the 4 screws has this issue not by opening but by turning it inside to minimise the float rate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I think the threads on the adjustment screws are purposely tight so they dont "self adjust" however, I havent experienced any that wont turn at all, weird...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1217 View Post
    I think the threads on the adjustment screws are purposely tight so they dont "self adjust" however, I havent experienced any that wont turn at all, weird...
    It turned but very difficult and after I believe the thread was a bit damaged. The other 3 turns smoothly without the risk of self movement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Also is it okay to grease the pedals with lithium base grease or only the Teflon one?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Also is it okay to grease the pedals with lithium base grease or only the Teflon one?
    Are you talking about injecting new grease into the pedal or lubing the cleat? These are 2 separate things. Speedplay recommends these:
    -for the pedals - synthetic, waterproof grease
    -for the cleats - dry lube. Do NOT put grease onto your cleats or the outside of the pedals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughsdad View Post
    Are you talking about injecting new grease into the pedal or lubing the cleat? These are 2 separate things. Speedplay recommends these:
    -for the cleats - dry lube. Do NOT put grease onto your cleats or the outside of the pedals.
    Thanks for that. There are so many options do you have any recommended brands? If I Google "synthetic waterproof grease" I get all kinds for suspension, brakes ect.. So I don't know which one and if it will suit for greasing the pedals
    Also for the dry lube can I use any dry oil/lube for chain like "finish line" or
    "TF-2"?
    Last edited by dudigrinfeld; 04-22-2012 at 07:55 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for that. There are so many options do you have any recommended brands? If I Google "synthetic waterproof grease" I get all kinds for suspension, brakes ect.. So I don't know which one and if it will suit for greasing the pedals
    Also for the dry lube can I use any dry oil/lube for chain like "finish line" or
    "TF-2"?
    Just go to your LBS and ask for grease for Speedplay pedals and dry lube for the cleats. You'll get a tube of grease that you can use for bearings, threads, etc. as well as the pedals. I use Finish LIne dry lube, but any dry lube should be fine. For the grease, you will also need something to inject it (e.g. a grease gun. Some people use a simple syringe). Read your instructions booklet that came with the pedals on injecting grease, or look it up on SP's site.
    Last edited by Hughsdad; 04-22-2012 at 08:00 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughsdad View Post
    Hughsdad,
    When lubing the cleats is it just the spring part that is exposed, as where the cleats sits on soil or it means to unscrew the cleat and to lube the entire metal spring also underneath where it sits?
    Also PTFE dry lube as powder can work the same as oil?
    Thanks david

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just lube the spring where it is exposed. The lube will work in under the spring. I don't know about powder lubes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    I use Liquid Wrench Dry Lube and spray it into upper/lower part of spring, the base and the circular part of cleat. It penetrates pretty much everything. I pretty much do this and the pedal body every day of use. Takes about 2 mins. Stays a lot cleaner than wetter lubes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    I have used Blaster Dry Lube with PTFE for years and it works perfect. About $4 at Home Depot. I have also used Speedplay's own lube which most Speedplay dealers carry and is only about $6.00.

I use it before every ride because it takes all of about 10 seconds and my Zeros have worked flawlessly for years. I also use the coffee shop covers while walking so that I don't prematurely wear them out or get grass, sand, etc in them..

RoadBikeReview Member
    There is also PTFE Teflon non staining powder lube, I wonder if anyone ever used it for cleats lubrication?