RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Speedplay Zero Cleat problem

I have a spring retainer tab that has broken off on Left yellow plastic base.

These cleats have about 4K miles and less than a year since installing.

The primary clip in/out is with the left foot.

I am careful not walking with these and lube with dry lube 3X/week.

Has anyone had these issues ?

What mileage have you been getting on these cleats ?

Here is link I found on Ecel Sports that has some feedback.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speedplay Zero Cleat problem-side2side.jpg   Speedplay Zero Cleat problem-left.jpg   Speedplay Zero Cleat problem-right.jpg  
    Last edited by biker; 03-10-2012 at 08:22 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I don't ride Speedplays, but cleat life is extremely variable, depending on how and where you ride, and how much walking you do. Some cleats are also affected by curvature of the shoe's sole.

However

You might contact Speedplay and see what they have to say. Maybe they'll offer replacement cleats free or discounted.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have ridden with Speedplay Zeros for several years now and that broken tab happens to me too. It hasn't caused any problems for me. The real area to examine for wear is the underside of the metal plate. You will wear a groove in the plate. When the groove gets too deep, replace the cleat. I use a DuPont wax lube every 100 miles or less on the cleats and wear the covers if walking on dirt or grass. My cleats usually last over 5000 miles.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    probably from how you clip in

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I have the same problem in on my cleats right now. Like mentioned above, it hasn't really affected the performance so I've just ignored it.

RoadBikeReview Member

You're not alone

I've been using Speedplay Zero's for seven years. This just started happening to me in the past two. Both my current cleats are like this. While I don't think you run this risk of pulling out of the cleat, the spring is definitely more sloppy in mount, and I find it rather annoying.

I impressed you manage lubing 3X per week. I'm happy if I do it 3X per month. As others have mentioned, I change them about every ~ 4000 miles (6 months).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speedplay Zero Cleat problem-img_2500.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    while it may be related to how you're twisting in to the cleats, I should say that I too have noticed the become a more frequent failure of these in the past two years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I was doing great on a pair of zero's then I started having some issues. I did run into your issue about 2 1/2 years back but it was near the end of the cleat life. My recent issue came from where I snapped/sheared the metal cleat off near the screws at the rear of the cleat. It was lubed regularly and don't know why. It happened twice with 3 months. Once on my road bike and another on my TT bike. Different pedals, cleats and shoes.

Sent one complete set back to Speedplay. That stated that it was not properly lubed and mounted. My bike shop disagreed. Speedplay did not even replace my cleats. My LBS replaced my pedals at a significant discount and took care of me.

Long live Great Service from your LBS!

Scubad

"Is this carbon?"
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_John View Post
    I'm impressed you manage lubing 3X per week. I'm happy if I do it 3X per month. As others have mentioned, I change them about every ~ 4000 miles (6 months).
    agreed. same here. My current set have well over 2000 miles on them and I have an extra set sitting in the box for just in case purposes.... I try to never walk on them and when not in use I have my cleat covers on them...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mine broke off a while ago. Hasn't affected performance.

I'm impressed you get 4000 miles out of a set of Speedplay cleats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Mine broke too. I cant tell any difference.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had the same tab break off the left cleat on mine when I took it apart to clean it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    So far I've been safe, but I'm also a little bit paranoid with mine, like as soon as I'm off the bike or I'm going to be off the bike I put the covers on. I also wipe down and relube the cleats every ride, giant pain in the ass, but well worth it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    I came here to complain, but it seems that I actually experienced great cleat life.

My right cleat assembly snapped off my shoe - the bolt embedded in the 3-bolt to 4-bolt plate sheared out, leaving the yellow and metal plate attached to the pedal and the black plastic adapter connected to my show. Thankfully it was during a cool down period and I was less than a mile from my car. If it had been mid-sprint, I could have been picking pebbles out of my road rash right about now.

Thing is, I have over a year on the cleats - with walking on grass, dirt, and asphalt, with over 10,000 miles, and with racing - so I suppose I should count myself lucky.

I do lube the cleats, but probably once a month.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    After contacting SP Customer Service, they gave me a RMA # and I returned the yellow cleats for them to inspect. I got a new Left cleat to replace damaged one and the Right original cleat was returned. They made suggestions on proper exit from pedal and recommended lubes and frequency. All of those recommendations I did follow.

I am using Liquid Wrench Dry Lube just about every day of use. Off season when on Fixed Trainer I was using Pro Link, since no issue with contamination and less need to apply as often.

Will interesting to see how the new cleat set I installed while waiting for SP to make a verdict on failed part.