RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

Speedplay Zero -- cromoly or stainless?

Big price difference between the two. I can't tell from the Speedplay site if there are any differences between spindle materials and a miniscule weight difference. Any practical differences between the two in performance or longevity from those familiar with both?

Thanks!

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57
    Big price difference between the two. I can't tell from the Speedplay site if there are any differences between spindle materials and a miniscule weight difference. Any practical differences between the two in performance or longevity from those familiar with both?

Thanks!
    Spindle material is the only real difference, AFAIK. Practically, it's not a difference, unless you use your bike in the wet a lot, and don't keep things maintained.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    I have a pair of each and can't tell the difference.
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57

Thanks!
    I have one of each and have been using them since 2004 and have had no problems. Just re-grease them every once in a while and flush the old grease out. I can't tell which is which, except for a small difference in color of the grease port cap.

So save your money and get Cro-mo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have both also. The black paint on the spindle of mine is worn just next to the body. Beyond that I'd say save the $$ and buy the cromo version.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma601
    I have both also. The black paint on the spindle of mine is worn just next to the body. Beyond that I'd say save the $$ and buy the cromo version.

Chromoly: Single bearing cartridge. Made in Taiwan. In the Light Action model, can't be upgrade to Zero body assembly. The spindle can rust if you wear through the finish.

Stainless: Two bearing cartridges, made in USA. In the Light Action model, can interchange with zero body assembly if you wish to upgrade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the insights, roadbike_moron. The speedplay site's specs agree with the mfg location (Taiwan for CrMoly, USA for stainless) but list 2 cartridge, one needle bearing for both models.

I've not see info on body interchangability on the spindles; could you share the source of the info?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Functionally, they are close. But, I just prefer looking down and not seeing the paint scratched up (with the chromoly). It's a small aesthetic difference. But then again, I spend a lot to make my bike look nice. Why not this also?

eRacer
    The bearings in all 3 Zero Models are the same: 2 Cartridge and 1 Needle Bearing.
    The only difference is the Spindle.
    I have the Black Chromoly Spindle Zeros and like them a lot.
    The Black Spindle Coating is very durable.
    I suggest you save your money and get Chromololy Zeros.
    Specifications
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!

Moderatus Puisne
    I do not believe the bearing difference is correct.

Speedplay's site lists identical bearings for all Zero versions.

The X series pedals had different bearings as one progressed through the range, IIRC.

The rest of that is correct, although the spindle rusting would be a whole lot of battering, and neglecting to put more paint on it.

I have a pair of each, the chromo are 5 years old, and they work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by roadbike_moron
    Chromoly: Single bearing cartridge. Made in Taiwan. In the Light Action model, can't be upgrade to Zero body assembly. The spindle can rust if you wear through the finish.

Stainless: Two bearing cartridges, made in USA. In the Light Action model, can interchange with zero body assembly if you wish to upgrade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    +1 on Zero chromoly being as good as any.

I have one of each - Zero chromoly on one bike and Zero stainless steel on another. I can not tell any difference between them. Buy what you can afford to buy and dont worry. One exception is if you ride a lot in wet weather then stainless steel would be preferable to chromoly but still NOT mandatory.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    thanks for all the advice -- you saved me some $$ I can spend on something else

Ordered the cromoly's from my LBS -- good folks and comparable prices to online. Glad to give them the business (no pun intended).