RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Speedplay zero - stainless vs cromoly

So what's the deference between these pedals, from what I can tell it's 8 grams if I look at them on www.totalcycling.com, and a big price difference between them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

bearings...

The X2 has two cartridge bearings and one needle bearing. The X5 only has one cartridge bearing and one needle bearing.

Go to www.speedplay.com . You can compare other brands and any model of speedplay to another.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have also been told the X1 and X2 are made in the USA and the X5 is made overseas. Who knows if that is the truth or not. X2 for the WIN !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Speedplay zero - stainless vs cromoly
    He's asking about Zero pedals, not X's.

All three of the Zero types (titanium, stainless steel, and chrome-moly) use a 2 cartridge, 1 needle bearing set-up. No idea if the bearings are identical, but I suspect they probably are. The difference in price is due to the spindle material. I have 2 sets of titanium, and one set of stainless. Design-wise, they're identical. Spindle length on the titaniums is a tiny bit shorter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1 to Dr. John. Chromo's differ by spindle only, and appear to be same length as stainless. Really a great value as weight difference to stainless is close to dust (4 grams total).
    :-P