Thread: SRAM derailleur

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014

SRAM derailleur

Hi just a thought. I've got SRAM Red groupset and want move up to 11 speed (Red 22) from 10. Now in order to make the bike compatible for 11 speed I only want to change the cassette and shifter and retain the rest of the groupset since it's all perfectly fine and unused ... I just don't need it all. The wheelset is 11 spd compatible already.

I've changed the cabling a few times and I've noticed that the rear derailleur moves freely up and down cassette to the limits set without any indication that it's limited to 10 movements.

Can anyone let me know why this won't work. Since it's the shifter that releases cable which moves the derailleur from one cog to the next. I want to adjust the limits to allow the extra room.

Anyone done this and can share details?

Ta

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I haven't done this with these parts, but I've mixed and matched ders for years. In general, Ders are dumb animals and just do what the shifter tells them. This is assuming the cable pull and Der movement are calibrated to work together, which these are. As long as you're not increasing your big cog size beyond what the der can handle, you should be fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by harryman View Post
    I haven't done this with these parts, but I've mixed and matched ders for years. In general, Ders are dumb animals and just do what the shifter tells them. This is assuming the cable pull and Der movement are calibrated to work together, which these are. As long as you're not increasing your big cog size beyond what the der can handle, you should be fine.
    Thanks very much. Good to know.

Sent from my MI NOTE Pro using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    yes it will work. The Zinn says so

Technical FAQ: 10- and 11-speed drivetrain component compatibility | VeloNews.com

and you can often go to larger cogs than what SRAm recommends - depends on the hanger length. And even then you can play with B screw, or add a Wolftooth hanger extension to go to 40 tooth plus