RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

SRAM Force Rear Derailleur Play

Hi guys,

Just a quick question to see if anyone can tell me what I'd like to know.

Basically, I've noticed my bike mis-shifting a bit recently, so I've gone back to clean all the drivetrain well and re-adjust derailleurs etc to make sure all is good. While I was at it, I noticed that the rear derailleur has a tiny amount of play in it when fully tightened to the derailleur hanger.

Now, I'm not sure this is anything abnormal, but I wanted to know if all SRAM rear derailleurs are like this? To describe the issue more precisely (looking from behind the bike, at eye-level with the cassette) the rear derailleur actually moves a bit side-to-side. This means that, at the outermost position (which is only a couple of mm of play) the lower jockey wheel on the rear derailleur is not directly in line with the top jockey wheel and the cassette sprocket - it is a couple of mm to the right, giving the derailleur cage a bit of an awkward slant.

As stated before, I'm not sure if this an issue at all that might affect function, but I thought that since I'm re-dialing the derailleurs, I'd check to see that this won't be a problem in the future.

Thanks for any help in advance

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like your Der. hanger is bent a little. This will cause mis shifting and make it a pain to get the rear in tune. Some gears will be fine others will mis.

It is an easy fix, 10 minutes at most. Bring it to a shop and have them take a look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    That's exactly the thing. When I first noticed the problem, I thought that may have been the case. And I did take it to a shop, who assured me that they have fixed the problem.

Now I'm in two minds about it, and maybe I should take it to a different shop to have a look. Hmm.