RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Sram Power Link Fury!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've just spent the past hour reading old posts on how to remove a power link chain. AFter squezzing, pushing, pulling swearing, killing my f'n fingers and greasing meself, the f'n thing wouldn't come off. So I hop on this forum (not sure why i didn't do that first), and find out the f'n 10spd chain (which is what I have), doesn't come off. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh hai there
    Buy the park tool or get some cheap needlenose pliers and make yer own.

banned
    Apr 2006
    sh*t thats why I use to buy the 9spd versions for takin it off now thats gone why bother.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I've taken the 10 spd off many times.
    You have to squeeze the outside plates towards each other with a needle nose pliers.
    and at the same time either use the Park tool mentioned above or I have bent a piece of wire hanger to fit around the two joined links and then squeezed the wire with a regular pliers. But you must do this while squeezing the outside plates together or it will not disengage.

Shut up legs!
    If you want to be able to take off your 10spd chain, the only option I see without being so technical is to use the Wippermann connex chainlink. I have it and it works fine with 10spd Sram chain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kdub
    If you want to be able to take off your 10spd chain, the only option I see without being so technical is to use the Wippermann connex chainlink. I have it and it works fine with 10spd Sram chain.

Why not just use the Wipperman connex chain? How did you install the link into the SRAM chain? Didn't that present you with the same problem I had/have?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by de.abeja
    Buy the park tool or get some cheap needlenose pliers and make yer own.
    What is this tool of which you speak?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyncStar
    What is this tool of which you speak?
    http://www.parktool.com/products/det...t=5&item=MLP-1
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Larry Lackapants
    No force is needed to unlock the connex - therefore the above actions can be performed upon the link with bare hands
    "There are only 3 motivating factors that change human behavior; pain, fear or ambition. Which button do you want to press?" Steve Hogg

Shut up legs!
    Quote Originally Posted by brblue
    No force is needed to unlock the connex - therefore the above actions can be performed upon the link with bare hands

yes what brblue said. The connex is designed allowing you to unlink and relink the chain. Whereas the sram's 10spd powerlink is a one time deal.

If you haven't bought a chain yet, yes, you could buy the wippermann chain altogether. But if you already have the Sram chain and would like to make it detachable whenever, then just get the wipperman connex.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

warning...

The only connex link that fits properly is the 10S1. The ones marked 10 SPEED have far more side clearance than there is supposed to be.

KMC makes a link for the Campy UN chain that also fits the SRAM chain and Forster makes the model 4 for these chains.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by pennstater
    I've taken the 10 spd off many times.
    You have to squeeze the outside plates towards each other with a needle nose pliers.
    and at the same time either use the Park tool mentioned above or I have bent a piece of wire hanger to fit around the two joined links and then squeezed the wire with a regular pliers. But you must do this while squeezing the outside plates together or it will not disengage.
    funny, but i've only ever used the park tool. i never squeeze the side plates together and they always come apart fine.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum