Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

SRAM powerlock 10-speed. Does anyone reuse?

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Lelandjt 
#1 ·
Has anyone here had experiences with reusing a Sram Powerlock 10-speed chain link?
Sram specifies that it is only good for a one-time use.
What are the dangers of reusing it?

#2 ·
Lot's of posts on this in the past. I and many others reuse them, but at our risk. I use one for the life of a chain which probably involves 10 removals/installations with cleaning, disassembly for traveling etc.. The danger is it will fail, which if happens standing can put you on your face. Less likely it fails while seated and jams the rear wheel, which can also cause a crash.

#3 · (Edited)
What looigi said

I agree completely with this. I reuse them routinely and get a new one when I get a new chain. I have never had one fail. IMHO, the manufacturer's recommendation for one-time use is mostly legal CYA sprinkled with a little desire to boost sales. Bottom line, unless you are super strong and/or heavy you are probably OK to reuse.

#4 ·
I reuse them on my own bikes. Never on customer bikes for liability reasons.

#5 ·
I'm totally baffled why SRAM would bother with a "power link" that can't be reused and is hard as hell to remove. Seems to me like the worst of all possible worlds.

I think both the Shimano chain with no removable link and the KMC chain with an easily removable and reusable link are far superior designs. I run KMC on my SRAM equipped bikes.

#6 ·
Shimano chains suck.

I like KMC chains, but I've had Missing Links break before.

SRAM links are easy to remove if you have the Park link tool (or a modified pair of old needle-nose pliers). Being so hard to install/remove means they fit together tighter and are less likely to break or fall apart.

#9 ·
Most people don't have a problem with KMC links. Most cyclists also don't weigh over 300lbs nor can they generate the kind of force I can (very briefly) at the pedals (except track guys with thighs bigger than mine). All it takes for me is one big downward crank (MTBing) while climbing a hill and KMC Missing Links tend to spread apart and fly into the woods. Ex-powerlifter + lots of fat = PlatyPius.
I haven't had that problem with SRAM links. On the road, I haven't had a problem with KMC links - I use a KMC 11 speed chain on my Cyfac.

#10 ·
Does Sram only say this about their 10spd link or for 8&9 also? With their 9spd they seem to go together easier after the first use and I had a DH bike that would occassionally make them pop apart, but only after re-installation. So, I think there's some truth to them getting looser and more prone to popping open with each re-use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.