Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

SRAM red 2011 problems shifting to large front Chainring

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rgordin 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I installed a NEW 2011 RED group (black edition) on a 2004 Kestrel Evoke and could not get the FD to shift to the large chainring correctly no mater what I did to it... Doing some google I read that the 2011 FD kind of sucks so I ordered a 2012 RED FD and I'm getting pretty much the same thing... It shifts perfect on the work stand but it doesn't under any kind of load. I get it to shift OK if I don't put any pressure on the cranks while shifting, and that's how I'm riding it at the moment.

Could it be possible that my frame is too old for these new groups? I ask this because I don't think that both Red FD will fail... Also, the 2004 Ultegra I took off was shifting OK.

#2 ·
no one here is really going to be able to tell you what to do if we can't see the bike...put it in the stand, and actually see what's up. at this point it's kind of like 'hold your bike up to the computer so i can see what's up...'
while Ti cage Red derailleurs aren't great, they can generally be made to work pretty well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.