RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

SRAM red 2011 problems shifting to large front Chainring

Hi guys,

I installed a NEW 2011 RED group (black edition) on a 2004 Kestrel Evoke and could not get the FD to shift to the large chainring correctly no mater what I did to it... Doing some google I read that the 2011 FD kind of sucks so I ordered a 2012 RED FD and I'm getting pretty much the same thing... It shifts perfect on the work stand but it doesn't under any kind of load. I get it to shift OK if I don't put any pressure on the cranks while shifting, and that's how I'm riding it at the moment.

Could it be possible that my frame is too old for these new groups? I ask this because I don't think that both Red FD will fail... Also, the 2004 Ultegra I took off was shifting OK.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    no one here is really going to be able to tell you what to do if we can't see the bike...put it in the stand, and actually see what's up. at this point it's kind of like 'hold your bike up to the computer so i can see what's up...'
    while Ti cage Red derailleurs aren't great, they can generally be made to work pretty well.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Don't know anything about your problem but I had repeated problems with a Force FD that were finally solved by use of a spacer (I think SRAM has these specifically for the problem I had).