Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

SRAM Red 2012-2013 Backward Comaptable!!!

30K views 73 replies 29 participants last post by  ericm979 
#1 ·
IT REALLY WORKS! I just read a great aricle at velonews.competitor.com/2012/03/news/it-works-we-test-sram-red-backwards-compatibility_209270 and it inspired me to swap a few components. I've been riding a Pinarello FP6 with a full Force 2010 set up and have been very happy with it but last week I mis-shifted and dropped the chain. I chewed up a good chunk of paint around the BB and chain stay right down to the carbon and felt my heart drop into my stomach. I decided I never wanted that to happen again and the strength of this article convinced me swap out a few components to the newest (2013) Red. I got the New FD, RD, the latest XG 1090 Cassette and the 1091R Chain. I kept the original Force Shifters and Force Cranks & Chain Rings and Brakes... OH MY WORD.... its a brand new bike. The front shifting has an instant crisp response, there's no chain rub, it's precise, smooth and unbelievably QUIET.
Honestly I couldn't have imagined how good this is. These components are completely backward compatible (at least in the configuration Iève described on my bike) and if I was happy with my bike before, I'm ecstatic now. I really want to thank VeloNews for their article. My LBS has said repeatedly not to mix components. Today I rode over there with the new stuff retrofitted in and even they had to admit they were impressed. Without this article I would have never gone for it, and now that I have I can confirm that the New SRAM red is amazing. If itès good retrofitted with FORCE the entire gruppo must be stunning especially given the weight loss.

See less See more
#7 ·
Looking at the Sram install video for the new derailleur, it looks like it's set up with markings for alignment from the factory. If, after doing the initial install using those markings, are there instructions somewhere for reinstalling - like when you finally get a new crank when they're available?

#8 ·
I had the gear installed at my LBS, they tell me the install was just pretty much like the old RED or or any other FD. The alignment etching on the outside of the cage won't wear off, just the alignment etching inside the cage, but in reality that mark is there to make it dead simple, the placement of this FD in relation to the chainring is no different than the old Red, Force, etc. .... That's what they tell me.

#13 ·
I've read the same article and was very pleased to hear the backward compatibility of the new sram red FD with the previous generation red shifters. Especially, after hearing from countless LBS that have said otherwise. Some have gone as far as saying you need the entire new system for it to work properly. Others have said that you need at least the new shifters. Now, I would love to get the new shifters, but they are not inexpensive.

I was fortunate enough to find a new Red FD! Will have her installed with my Rotor Qrings and previous generation Red shifters.

Just out of curiosity: How are you guys picking up the 2012/2013 Sram Red FD? Most LBS are not selling it as a stand alone piece.

#19 ·
Is there any performance increase moving from a 2011 Force FD to the 2012 Red? Other than the built in chain catcher? Assuming your not currently cross-chaining?

Trek recommends a chain catcher of some sort on their carbon frames, and it is either buy a $35 K-Edge, or a $125 2012 Red FD. The FD seems like the logical choice with the built in chain catcher, but just curious if I will see a performance benefit otherwise.

#21 ·
I don't know why anyone would *want* to mix-n-match Red parts. The new stuff is much improved - ALL of it. The cranks/rings are better, the front derailleur is better, the shifters are better, the cassette is better, the brake calipers are better.... what? Just keep the old style rear derailleur? Why?

#24 ·
I am having the hardest time getting a mechanic willing to install my new RED FD with my previous generation RED shifters!?!?! Most have said that they would do it ONLY if I went with the new RED shifters as well. Too much trouble and unsure of reliability is what I am hearing from them.

Anyone else running into this type of resistance? Or are you guys doing the install yourselves? Please advise. Thanks.

#27 ·
We read the article, then installed the derailleur and tried it for ourselves. Any dealer that says it won't work hasn't tried it, or they just want to sell complete groups for reasons that have nothing to do with mechanics.

If your bike shop wants to talk to another bike shop that has installed them, get in touch with me and I'll give you my number.

The simple fact in this case is that the cable pull is no different between a new and old Red shifter. That's why you can install the new FD on older stuff.

#25 ·
Between these post there are two answers:
1." I don't know why anyone would *want* to mix-n-match Red parts." - For Some of us it's a matter of $$. I put a whole new Force Group together 6 months ago and simply couldn't justify spending on a whole new group when the old one only had 3 months of use on it.

2. Yes there is some resistence. My Pinarello dealer refused. I showed him the VeloNews report referenced in this thread and he said "Yeah BUT they are not mechanics" so I took my new gear to an independant shop, they put it on and I'm telling you it is flawless with the old shifters (Force) and the old cranks/rings (force).

The way I understand it: If you use the old RED Shifters with the new RED FD, you get a redundant trim. If you use the NEW RED SHIFTERS - You MUST get the new Crank and RIngs. If you use the old crank, old shifters - the New FD works fine. I proved it on my bike. All I changed is FD, RD, Chain, Cassette and it's beautiful!

#28 ·
I went down to my shop today to get prices on everything today. I want to ease into the new red and then add a new power meter. Spreading out the price will make it easier on the immediate expense and since the power meter isn't available right now, this is a great way for me to proceed.

#29 ·
Yes, the preformance is definately better. It's quicker, smoother and no chain clatter. With the old FD I could dial in the trim but not perfect. This new set up is perfect and with the included Chain Spotter, it's impossible to throw a chain in an overshift situation. And it is QUIET!

#32 ·
I too read the article and talked my LBS into mounting the new FD with 2011 SRAM RED Front shifters, and the 2011 RED compact crankset (I couldn't wait for the New Red cranks to come out in compact). I can't say that shifting is perfect but it's heading that way with minor adjustments. I am getting some chain throw off the small ring and realized the chain spotter was not installed. I was told that it couldn't be attached because I don't have a braze on fitting and the clamp used is not compatible with the chain spotter and it's small black positioning bolt adjustment piece. I have the chain spotter assembly in hand, any suggestions or experience mounting the spotter with a clamp set-up would be very mcuh appreciated.

Cheers C

#34 ·
After my recent travails with the old Red Ti FD I bought an Ultegra FD for about $30. The old Red is currently working beautifully again so I will wait and see how long that lasts. Even investing just in the new Red FD at $125 is pretty steep so I'll be giving the cheap but reliable Ultegra a chance first.

I already have a K-Edge. $35 is a lot of money for a bit of bent metal with no moving parts. It is also very tricky to get it in the right place while not losing the FD adjustment, so the integrated and independently adjustable SRAM catcher is appealing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.