Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Sram Red Hydro cable routing (Spesh Aerofly).

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  TLN 
#1 ·
Hi all.

I got a nice Allez Sprint that came with Spesh aerobar from factory and Sram Force 1x. Recently I got a Tarmac Disc with Red Hydro and great choice of high-end components. Before I put my Allez on sale I decided to move aerofly to Tarmac and now I have issues:
With mechanical Force I have two options to route my cables:

On my Spesh aerofly I have two cable holes and it works perfectly fine(using option pictured on the right).
But on hydro version I have only option to route the cables (as pictured on left). I haven't tried yet, but hole will be too small to put two cables inside. I've found some messages from the users on forums, mainly because cable takes sharp turn, but no one was using an aerofly handlebar.
Obviously, routing cable outside of handlebar is not an option.

Any ideas what should I do?

See less See more
#2 ·
You can probably get both into the inside hole. I have those bars and I have both 5mm brake housing and 4mm shift housing through the inside holes.

It is possible, well provided your holes are clean and open and don't have extra fiber or resin in the way.

It's very difficult to do, they don't just fit, it takes some experience and the right technique. There's probably someone at the LBS who's good at it, this is not a new problem. Not for these particular bars or others just like them.

#5 ·
I went in the other direction and just added this bar to my new Sprint. I have a mechanical 105 setup, so it's different from yours, but I had a similar problem. What I chose to do was to 'S' turn the brake cable to the outside routing hole. No issues with brake performance from what I can tell. Not sure if this is at all helpful, but felt I should at least throw it out there.

#6 ·
I probably need to post side-by-side pic. I haven't moved shifters yet (too lazy to disassemble current one) but it will be pretty tight S.
Also, I've notices that Venge Red Disc comes with a bit different aerofly: there's a bigger hole to accommodate two cables, but there're holes where it attaches to the stem to route cable through the frame. Not sure if I want to have that bar on "normal" bike.
I'm thinking of replacing aerofly with aeronova, but that's just throwing money on a problem. Should probably give Sram and Shimano a call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.