RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009

Question SRAM Red levers compatible with Tektro Lyra?

Hello, all.

That's basically it. I was wondering if anyone with some know how can tell me if 2009 SRAM red levers should work with BN Tektro Lyra mechanical disc brakes? They are installed now but feel kind of weak. I'm hoping it's just a setup or adjustment issue but after trawling the intertubes for manuals or any scrap of info I can't figure out if they *should* work together so any expert insights and/or advice would be extremely appreciated!

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymack
    Hello, all.

That's basically it. I was wondering if anyone with some know how can tell me if 2009 SRAM red levers should work with BN Tektro Lyra mechanical disc brakes? They are installed now but feel kind of weak. I'm hoping it's just a setup or adjustment issue but after trawling the intertubes for manuals or any scrap of info I can't figure out if they *should* work together so any expert insights and/or advice would be extremely appreciated!
    Tektro says they're designed for use with caliper or canti brake levers, which in a general sense means yes. If by 'feel weak' you mean a squishy lever, that could be good news, meaning there's plenty of mechanical advantage, or bad news, meaning that there's waste somewhere in the setup.

On the other hand, if you mean 'feel weak' in that they don't stop you, the question has been answered, no?

The third possibility is that, well, they're tektros - what were you expecting? They could be perfectly compatible, simply ineffectual.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Are you sure you have enough tension on the cables?

Rub it............
    The Tektro Lyra's were designed to work with linear pull brake levers = mountain style levers. That is why your brakes feel mushy.

For you to use disc brakes with your Red levers, you will need to step up to a set of BB7 Road disc brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    The Tektro Lyra's were designed to work with linear pull brake levers = mountain style levers.
    The Tektro Lyras are for cyclocross bikes and Tektro's website says they are for use with caliper or canti brake levers.

duh...
    the reviews at jenson confirm your findings

Number 2 on the course.
    How much have you used them? Even BB7s can require some break in, usually a handful of hard stops, before they feel like they are working.

I agree with checking on the cable tension too. Make sure that the caliper starts to actuate as soon as the lever moves.