RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

SRAM Rival or Shimano 105 for my Dahon Folding Bike

Hi All,

I am planning to change my standard crank from my Dahon speed-P8 into dual crank system.
    right now, i'm still confuse to choose the crank that i will buy, Shimano 105 or SRAM Rival ?

please give me review & suggestion between Shimano 105 or sram 105 (price, reliability, durability, installation)

thank you very much

Rub it............
    The Speed P8 will not accept a dual crank system and work properly. The crank will probably fit, but you will not be able to install a front derailleur due to how the frame is setup. It will not align properly.

Also, the new crank would probably interfere with how the bike folds.

Save your money and try and find another bike. It will be less of a hassle.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Actually, i'm already installed dual crank system (Crank : Ultegra, FD : Tiagra, RD : SRAM X9) into my other folding bike (Hasa F1).

I dont have any trouble to install front derailleur (i made a custom adapter to hold the FD) and it can fold properly.

Please give me suggestion, which crank better, SRAM Rival or Shimano 105.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    I'm fairly certain that Rival is better than 105.

The Trollinator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by willhs
    ^ This ^

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    You can actually buy a front derailleur hanger for your Dahon here:

http://www.thorusa.com/dahon/accessories/special.htm

n00bsauce
    Quote Originally Posted by willhs
    Better? No. Cheaper? Yes. Lighter? Yes, but it's a Dahon.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    @Mel: Just curious, but how do you define better in this scenario? I agree, it's cheaper and lighter. It is also stiffer than the 105 (reference: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...43526&start=0).

Is there some other characteristic of the 105 that makes it better?

I'm guessing that oszh has already moved on and bought whatever he wanted by now.

n00bsauce
    Didn't look at the date and didn't say 105 was better, just that Rival wasn't. For all intents and purposes they're equal in performance. Do you think you could tell the difference between 104 and 113 nm's? Really splitting hairs (no, atoms).
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    I'm installing a dual crank on my 2007 Dahon Speed P8. Where and how did you install a cable stop for the front derailleur? Did you route the cable under the bottom bracket? Did you use a cable guide and if so what brand and how did you install it?

Any info appreciated.

RoadOil

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    I discovered through another forum that the front derailleur clamp, which can be purchased at Thorusa.com, among others places, has a built-in cable stop. The cable housing is routed under the bottom bracket and up to the stop. I'd post the precise web address to the other forum, which includes excellent photos and specs, but I can't until I've achieved ten posts, according to the forum rules herein. If I could post the link it would be to bikeforums (dot) net (back slash) showthread (dot) php (back slash) 544582-My-Dahon-Vitesse-hot-rod (question mark) p (equal sign) 9022483&viewfull (equal sign) 1#post9022483. There are no spaces between characters in the webaddress.

I