leon2982
    May 2007

SRAM Rival vs Campagnolo Centaur Shifters

I'm putting together a Cannondale CAAD9. I can go with either a SRAM Rival group or a Campagnolo Centaur group but I'll have to buy the Campy shifters if I go that route. I know the Campy group is about 200g lighter but I have not used the Centaur shifters. Do they work as good as the Record?

jd3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got one bike with Rival and one with Centar. I prefer the Centar. The Rival may be a little faster. The Centar is smother and quieter.

leon2982
    May 2007

rebuildable

I know the record shifters are rebuildable and different springs can be used to make a different feel to the shifter. Just wondering if the same thing can be done to the Centaur shifters.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by leon2982
    I know the record shifters are rebuildable and different springs can be used to make a different feel to the shifter. Just wondering if the same thing can be done to the Centaur shifters.
    it can be done w/ the '08 and previous 10 spd shifters. the "new" style centaur uses a new mechanism inside, and does not have the ergo springs anymore. it has a completely different feel (much lighter index feel) than the old shifters, and the new 11 spd stuff. you can barely feel the clicks in the new centaur.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

facts...

All 2009 ultrashift levers are mechanically the same, except of course, that Chorus and above are now 11 speed, while Centaur and Veloce are 10 speed. They are totally different than any previous shifter from Campy.

The index disc on the 10 speed models produce a much lighter click from the right finger lever than 11 speed model, but both are very light compared to the previous years.

INSIDE 2009 Ergopwer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    All 2009 ultrashift levers are mechanically the same, except of course, that Chorus and above are now 11 speed, while Centaur and Veloce are 10 speed. They are totally different than any previous shifter from Campy.

The index disc on the 10 speed models produce a much lighter click from the right finger lever than 11 speed model, but both are very light compared to the previous years.

INSIDE 2009 Ergopwer
    I knew you'd come up with the goods. Plus, the '07-'08 Centaurs had the "escape" mechanism. One cog per "shift."

My '06 Centaur group performs flawlessly and with good care works almost as nicely as a lot of Record/Chorus setups that have come through our shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

old vs new Campy

Quote Originally Posted by C-40

INSIDE 2009 Ergopwer
    I have 2 "old-style" Centaur groups from the mid-2000's. I've always liked the positive feel of Campy. Is that now gone? Are the "new" levers still rebuildable? If Campy has gone the way of Shimano maybe its time to give SRAM a look

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

read...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG
    I have 2 "old-style" Centaur groups from the mid-2000's. I've always liked the positive feel of Campy. Is that now gone? Are the "new" levers still rebuildable? If Campy has gone the way of Shimano maybe its time to give SRAM a look

Read the detail on the other post. Only the right finger lever is a lot different. I find the 11 speed finger lever action to be quite nice. The 10 speed click is almost nonexistant, but there is resistance before a second cog is shifted. I've never accidentally shifted two cogs instead of one with the right finger lever, since the throw is quite a bit more.

Roadie with unshaven legs
    Dec 2005
    I just installed a set of '09 Centaur shifters on my buddy's bike this past weekend. He immediately came back saying that he is going to upgrade his Litespeed to 11-speed ASAP just from his two minutes on the bike with the new shifters. His Litespeed has '06 Chorus on it. When I took it for a quick spin (his bike is 2cm too large for me) the shifters felt smooth, light, and almost vague. You can feel it when it shifts but if you are fatigued and are slamming shifts you may not. I believe that the saving grace here is that the amount of throw required to make a single shift and a double shift is enough that you would know when you've gone too far. That's not to say that the throws are long but that the throws are long enough to tell.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Interesting posts here.

I currently have 06 Record and I love it. I've read so many good things about SRAM, I was going to try Rival on my next bike. Most of the rave SRAM reviews are people coming from Shimano. It's nice to hear that Campy lovers still love Campy. Maybe I'll go with Centaur/Chorus on my next bike after all (since Record far exceeds my riding ability).

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had Centaur shifters on my bike before the change to the QS mechanism and I did not care for the way they operated. I now have first generation Rival which works to much to my satisfaction.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

mixing...

Quote Originally Posted by bwhite_4
    Interesting posts here.

I currently have 06 Record and I love it. I've read so many good things about SRAM, I was going to try Rival on my next bike. Most of the rave SRAM reviews are people coming from Shimano. It's nice to hear that Campy lovers still love Campy. Maybe I'll go with Centaur/Chorus on my next bike after all (since Record far exceeds my riding ability).
    2009 Centaur and Chorus don't mix perfectly. One is 10 speed and the other 11 speed. You should match the shifters, cassette, chain and RD, at the minimum.