RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

SRAM Rival vs Shimano CX70 (Ultegra) crankset?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my clunky old FSA Gossamer crankset and i'm looking at the Rival or the Shimano CX70. One of the biggest problems i have is the front shifting using the Gossamer and Rival FD combination. Its terrible at best. I've never had trouble setting up a FD before this combo.

Has SRAM caught up to Shimano in front shifting? I like the SRAM because the rest of my bike is Rival, it weighs less, and its cheaper. But if it still won't shift for crap i'll go Shimano.

What do you guys think?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Rival crankset will shift great. If there is still a difference between the shift quality of Shimano and SRAM cranksets it would be theoretical at best. Get the Rival, don't look back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I can't say from experience, but I'm told that there is nothing stiffer or more beautiful than an Ultegra crank. Also, from what I've read, there is nothing more frustrating than the GXP BB.

I'm thinking of replacing my old 105 crank with the same options, but go Chris King BB for the Rival. I would open that up to the crowd. Price would be comparable, but you'd get a better BB with the Rival, but presumably a stiffer crank and better shift ramps (?) with the Ultegra.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Just went for my first ride with the Rival. WOW. I guess i've never had a crankset this nice cuz this sucker is smooooth. And dead silent. Really amazing difference. I guess my old bearings were more shot than i thought.

Shifts just fine, too.