Apr 2013

SRAM Shifters/Shimano front/rear derailleurs

I've been lurking for quite a while, I have a well taken care of Motobecane Century Comp, pretty stock besides I changed out the saddle, but I am looking for a little better actuation on shifting/braking.

I've been looking at the SRAM setups, and while I don't really want to switch out the entire setup (financially doesn’t make sense), I would like to get a little better hand functionality when braking and shifting.

I'm rather liking the independent brake/shifting of the SRAMs, and have found quite a few opportunities to upgrade for around $200 for a pair of Reds.

All the stock components are on the bike, a 105 rear derailleur, front 105, etc. I am curious, can I combine the components and will they work appropriately as such?

I know this might have been answered before, but to be honest, I don't want to just assume this applies to my specific bike.

Motobecane USA | Carbon Road Bicycles | Track Bicycles | Cross Bicycles

There is a link to the specifics of my particular bike, everything looks current on that site, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I've probably put about 200 miles on it since I bought it and it has been a dream. It's a really nice riding bike, and I've had no issues thus far. Just want to make it a little bit more of "My" bike.

Thank you,
    Mario
    Last edited by desantim; 04-25-2013 at 09:24 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Others will chime in soon. I believe that Shimano and Sram index shifters and derailleurs are NOT cross compatible. This is due to different pull ratios I think. Shimano and Sram cassettes are interchangeable as long as the speed matches the shifter.

Have Fun
    People sleep peaceably at night because rough men and woman stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Oregon Bike MS 2013 Team Matfam

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by matfam View Post
    Others will chime in soon. I believe that Shimano and Sram index shifters and derailleurs are NOT cross compatible. This is due to different pull ratios I think. Shimano and Sram cassettes are interchangeable as long as the speed matches the shifter.

Have Fun
    Correct. The fronts are interchangeable though. Cassettes, chains, cranks, brakes are all compatible too, so if you want to change the shifters and the RD are necessary.

Be aware that the NEW front red shifter does not have a trim position because the NEW yaw FD doesn't not need to be trimmed. Older red shifters have a trim position off the large chainring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matfam View Post

Have Fun
    Yep. Different pulls. You'll need SRAM DRs too, which shouldn't be huge obstacle if you shop around.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.