RoadBikeReview Member

SRAM vs Shimano cassettes

I have a SRAM Red/Force setup, with a Shimano 5700. 11-28 cassette and a SRAM 1091r chain.
    Everything works & shifts flawlessly, and it's nice & quiet.
    I'm getting a SRAM PG-1070 cassette in 12-28.

Does anyone have experience as to the differences between the two cassettes?
    Will the PG-1070 shift as smoothly & quietly?

Thanks,

Peter

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Should work exactly the same with very little - if any - tweaking of the rear derailleur adjustment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes. Actually when Sram redesigned the force cassette, they made it more like shimano's. They got rid of the open glide design (OG) with missing teeth which has made it quieter & smoother shifting which is why the sram sponsored pro's choose to use it over the red cassette.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by gamara
    Yes. Actually when Sram redesigned the force cassette, they made it more like shimano's. They got rid of the open glide design (OG) with missing teeth which has made it quieter & smoother shifting which is why the sram sponsored pro's choose to use it over the red cassette.
    99% of the time 'pros' don't make any decisions regarding what parts are put on their bikes other than the range of the cassette and chainrings. the reason most (but not all) pro race bikes use the 1070 cassette is weight...it's heavier, and most pro team bikes are under weight a bit and that's an easy place to put some weight back on. all of our teams (full SRAM/Zipp sponsored pro team) race bikes use the red/1090 cassette and they shift perfectly and run quietly. proper adjustment, derailleur hanger alignment and good lube take care of that just fine.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Well, I for one couldn't stand the 1090 cassette and SRAM chain that came with my SRAM gruppo. It was loud and the shifting was awful. I swapped them out for Ultegra and saw a 100% improvement - smooth and quiet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Post removed..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SBH1973
    Well, I for one couldn't stand the 1090 cassette and SRAM chain that came with my SRAM gruppo. It was loud and the shifting was awful. I swapped them out for Ultegra and saw a 100% improvement - smooth and quiet.

I hear the Red is on the loud side.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ime if anything it will shift even more smoothly.

But there should be very little difference.

Anti-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench
    99% of the time 'pros' don't make any decisions regarding what parts are put on their bikes other than the range of the cassette and chainrings. the reason most (but not all) pro race bikes use the 1070 cassette is weight...it's heavier, and most pro team bikes are under weight a bit and that's an easy place to put some weight back on. all of our teams (full SRAM/Zipp sponsored pro team) race bikes use the red/1090 cassette and they shift perfectly and run quietly. proper adjustment, derailleur hanger alignment and good lube take care of that just fine.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog