RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Stages... It was all a lie?

So I just upgraded my powermeter from Stages to Quarq DZero. My normalized power for my rides basically dropped about 25 watts.

I'm fairly sure the Quarq is accurate, because it shows I have a 4% leg imbalance; my left leg is stronger than my right. So that could explain the discrepancy. Also previous Quarq models are known to underestimate leg imbalances, so my leg imbalance could be higher than 4%. Was it caused by Stages, and me subconsciously focusing more on my left leg to produce better power numbers?

Anyways, just to make sure, here's a screen shot of my ride today. It was a flat ride, where I get to a point and turn around and trace my route back; so wind and gradient more or less average/zero out. Does this look normal to you guys? The Stages would have me producing around 275-280 Normalized Watts, to achieve this ride.

Stages... It was all a lie?-quarq.png

RoadBikeReview Member
    4% imbalance is probably typical I'm guessing, not surprising to me and exactly why I quit using Stages PM. I started with more like 40/60 LR and with deliberate training and got to more like 48/52 last season. Remember though, that Quarq is not a dual strain gauge power meter. It's measuring power and assuming what's coming from each leg based on where the crank is in the rotation like power2max and some others. The difference between that technique and real L/R balance can be significant also. My power2max shows I'm often at 50/50 where my Pioneer shows I'm back to more like 46/54 this Winter (I need to go back to working on LR balance stuff with my pedal drills). I trust the Pioneer because it's using 2 strain gauges.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I wouldn't focus so much on the L/R numbers you get from the Quarq, but the overall numbers are most certainly more accurate than the numbers you were getting from the Stages arm simply because Quarq actually measure all the power you put into the rear wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Don't have the Stages still to run it side by side?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk