Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I'm still irritated with mine. It keeps telling me my wattage is not anywhere near the pros. WTF????
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    have had mine about 1.5 years, and no issues. Probably a few thousand miles on it, one battery change. It's on my rain / Winter bike so it's not getting babied.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    it seems like a doomed business model. 4iii is now selling theirs for $399. That includes installing it on your crank, so you can buy a dura-ace 9000 crank for around $400, get the 4iii installed on the left crank for another $400 and still come out ahead of buying the stages for $899. For another $399, you can get a left arm power meter installed for dual leg readings....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike View Post
    it seems like a doomed business model. 4iii is now selling theirs for $399. That includes installing it on your crank, so you can buy a dura-ace 9000 crank for around $400, get the 4iii installed on the left crank for another $400 and still come out ahead of buying the stages for $899. For another $399, you can get a left arm power meter installed for dual leg readings....
    4iiii could be a game changer if their product works as described.

Sending the crank in was a deviation from their plan. It was designed to be "self installed." DC Rainmaker got an early version and seemed like he was impressed.

So, if 4iiii works reliably, Stages will have to adjust. That is GOOD for us. Everyone else had to adjust when Stages came on the scene 2-3 yrs ago. A $700 power meter was unheard of then. PowerTap hubs alone were around $1000 before Stages hit he scene.

More and more players are getting into the game for power meters. This is great for us.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I'm still irritated with mine. It keeps telling me my wattage is not anywhere near the pros. WTF????
    Yeah, at any given moment while riding my PM reminds me I'm 1/3 a pro.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike View Post
    doomed? aren't you a bit premature there. First of all, 4iiii still has to prove that it's reliable (not proven yet), and that they can provide a quality product with excellent customer service (not proven yet). Stages has gone their teething problems (probably for close to 2 years after their initial release) that 4iiii certainly will have to go through. 4iiii made a lot of hype about self-installation and self calibration at home, it was as if you just glue on their pods and voila!, done. Now it's not the case anymore. In DC Rainmaker's review, the 4iiii is the most deviant of the power meters when compared to all the major ones, so 4iiii still has catching up to do. And how will 4iiii customer service handle issues if/when they come.

At this point, just about the only thing you can knock against Stages is their higher price when compared to 4iiii. But... Stages has proven that they can now deliver a good product with excellent customer service. Can Stages lower their prices? You bet. They were reaping a huge profit margin, now they'll just might have to lower it and live with less profit? It doesn't take much manufactauring prowess to make a Stages eh, just some plastics and simple electronics. They have lots of room to lower margin and stay viable. So doomed? Hardly. If anybody is doomed, it's gonna be the Garmin Vector before Stages. Stages is also coming out with dual sided powermeter (which IMO is nice but not necessary), so they're aware of the market trend eh, meaning they're doing their homework. Now if/when powermeter become comoditized and it's basically on every bike, then it will be guys like SRM, Quarq, Pioneer, Vector that will die out before Stages. The Stages and the 4iiii are basically two similar hardware wrapped in plastic pods. Measuring power with strain gauges is nothing new. There is nothing that 4iiii can do that Stages can't. 4iiii doesn't have any proprietary knowledge about how to make a powe meter, nor do they have any vastly efficient manufacturing process.. that Stages cannot mimick. 4iiii is basically taking the "lower prices to grab market share" approach. So if 4iiii wants to gain market share by offering lower prices, then end users will benefit. But Stages ain't just gonna rollover just because their profit margin is now lowered.

RoadBikeReview Member
    When performing the zero offset/calibration of the Stages PM my garmin displays 892. Does anyone know what the unit of measurement is? Dynes, grams, shillings, francs, parsecs?
    Ballan, we have a problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by The Moontrane View Post
    When performing the zero offset/calibration of the Stages PM my garmin displays 892. Does anyone know what the unit of measurement is? Dynes, grams, shillings, francs, parsecs?
    midichlorians..

but you are in spec , so the force (in watts) be with you

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    midichlorians..

...except watts is not a unit of force.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    midichlorians..

Is is there a "spec" that Stages power meters should calibrate within?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    From Stages support

My zero offset value changed. How do I know if it's correct?

Modified on: Mon, 13 Jul, 2015 at 4:02 PM

The Stages Power Meter zero offset or calibration value is the point in which your power meter interprets the crank to have zero weight on it. When you calibrate the power meter, it is important that the crank is in the 6 o'clock position with no weight on the pedal. If you calibrate the power meter with weight on the pedal or your foot/shoe clipped it, it will be calibrated incorrectly and no longer give accurate data.

Most head units that are capable of calibrating the power meter will return a value after you calibrating, which is your zero offset number. In the StagesPower app, this is listed as the "ADC".

What number should I receive when I perform the zero offset/calibration?

The zero offset value varies from one power meter to another and is affected by temperature changes, the power meter being removed and reinstalled, and other external factors. Under the correct calibration process, this number should be fairly steady from day to day after the power meter is installed on the bike, with only minor changes to account for temperature variance.

The expected range of values is within +/- 50 from 890, so expect to see numbers in the high 800s or low 900s when calibrating properly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Moontrane View Post
    Stages answered:

That 892 value denotes the electrical current flowing through the power meter's strain gauges while there is no force on the system. As there can be negative torque applied to the crankarm (compression) that number must be greater than zero.
    Ballan, we have a problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TmB123 View Post
    From Stages support

My zero offset value changed. How do I know if it's correct?

Modified on: Mon, 13 Jul, 2015 at 4:02 PM

The Stages Power Meter zero offset or calibration value is the point in which your power meter interprets the crank to have zero weight on it. When you calibrate the power meter, it is important that the crank is in the 6 o'clock position with no weight on the pedal. If you calibrate the power meter with weight on the pedal or your foot/shoe clipped it, it will be calibrated incorrectly and no longer give accurate data.

Most head units that are capable of calibrating the power meter will return a value after you calibrating, which is your zero offset number. In the StagesPower app, this is listed as the "ADC".

What number should I receive when I perform the zero offset/calibration?

The zero offset value varies from one power meter to another and is affected by temperature changes, the power meter being removed and reinstalled, and other external factors. Under the correct calibration process, this number should be fairly steady from day to day after the power meter is installed on the bike, with only minor changes to account for temperature variance.

The expected range of values is within +/- 50 from 890, so expect to see numbers in the high 800s or low 900s when calibrating properly.

Thanks for the description

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Digging this thread up form the dead.

Today, I posted a full review of my Stages units detailing my use for the last 2.5 years and 28,000 miles.

Here's a link to the thread.. and I'll post some pics.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    I've had mine on a DA9000 crank since Christmas 2013 and it's still going strong. Other than a few new batteries over the years I haven't had any issue with it at all, still on the original battery door (that bike doesn't get ridden in the rain) and have kept the firmware updated.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TmB123 View Post
    I've had mine on a DA9000 crank since Christmas 2013 and it's still going strong. Other than a few new batteries over the years I haven't had any issue with it at all, still on the original battery door (that bike doesn't get ridden in the rain) and have kept the firmware updated.
    Yes, I'd agree. overall, I'm happy with my purchase and would rate the Stages a strong B+ overall.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12