Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the link to the video. Glad to see the test, although short, on the 6x ant+ signal strength improvement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Somewhat related question: I'm looking at buying a new Stages meter for my existing Ultegra 6800 crank but am concerned about the connectivity issues between the PM & my Edge 820. If I go with a Gen 3 it looks like all they currently have are Ultegra r8000 models.. understanding that the shape of the crank arm may be slightly different, is there any other reason I couldn't bolt an r8000 stages arm onto my existing r6800 crank?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Nope. All of the current gen Shimano stuff is cross.compatible.

You could put a 105 crank on it if you don't.mind the aesthetic differences

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Thanks, that's what I figured but wanted to check before I spent the cash.

Has anybody seen/read/had any real world experience proving the Gen 3's work better with the 820 outside of just the advertisement that the antenna signal is up to 6x better? All I read about are drops/connectivity issues particularly surrounding the 820.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by gloverb103 View Post
    Thanks, that's what I figured but wanted to check before I spent the cash.

Has anybody seen/read/had any real world experience proving the Gen 3's work better with the 820 outside of just the advertisement that the antenna signal is up to 6x better? All I read about are drops/connectivity issues particularly surrounding the 820.
    Did you watch Shame Miller's video below? He put his garmin on a 10' pole and it worked fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Installed the Gen3 Stages PM with the Wahoo computer mounted out front and near the stem and went for a very short test ride and the Wahoo had no problem picking up the meter. This was not possible with the Gen2 and 800. When I get a chance I will install the 800 out front and against the stem to see how it reacts.

Slowski
    For what it's worth: I have a Gen 2 Stages PM, and have used it for about 1500 miles so far paired with a Wahoo Bolt. I have had two momentary power drops (both during races), but picked back up in probably less than a minute each time. PM battery had not ever been changed, but should still have >50% life left, and Bolt fully charged. I have not lost confidence in either, and I am quite satisfied.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Today's ride: 75 minutes - Stages Gen 2 ultegra 6800 paired to Edge 820 on an out-front mount spent more time dropped out than it did reporting data. It shows power data for about 3-5 seconds then drops out for 8-10 seconds, 3 seconds, 10 seconds, repeat for over an hour.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    I have two Gen. 2 DA9000 pm's and one Gen. 1 DA9000 pm. I have not had any connectivity issues with either of them and my Wahoo Bolt or my previous Garmin 820.... aside from when I was going through the battery door issue on the 1st get. model. My sampling date is from Oct. 2014 through now over the course of approximately 30,000 miles. Prior to the 820, I was using a Garmin 510... again, no issues.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    I have two Gen. 2 DA9000 pm's and one Gen. 1 DA9000 pm. I have not had any connectivity issues with either of them and my Wahoo Bolt or my previous Garmin 820.... aside from when I was going through the battery door issue on the 1st get. model. My sampling date is from Oct. 2014 through now over the course of approximately 30,000 miles. Prior to the 820, I was using a Garmin 510... again, no issues.
    Do you use an out-front mount?

I just did a back to back test on 5 minute rides: once with the 820 mounted out front and then once with it mounted to the stem. On the out front mount the connection dropped out 37 times in 5'. On the stem - zero dropouts. Brand new battery and full charge on 820
    Last edited by gloverb103; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:15 PM.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Do you use an out-front mount?
    Yes... I'm currently using a custom 3D printed mount for the Wahoo, but previously I used the Barfly Bikes direct mount on each of my road bikes and the barfly TT mount on my TT bike.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Today's ride: 75 minutes - Stages Gen 2 ultegra 6800 paired to Edge 820 on an out-front mount spent more time dropped out than it did reporting data. It shows power data for about 3-5 seconds then drops out for 8-10 seconds, 3 seconds, 10 seconds, repeat for over an hour.
    Contact Stages and let them know your issue. They will have you take some photos and send to them and they will make a judgement call based on those photos. Do stop there. Tell them you want them to exam the unit and they will have you mail the crank arm for examination. They sent me the Gen3 PM and I can confirm that so far (with the Bolt) it has a strong connection. One thing I immediately liked about the Bolt is that it provides a visual signal strength indicator for all the sensors. The 800 does not have a signal strength indicator, at least not that I know of.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I was chatting with some bike shop mechanic friends today. They were talking about someone who had a Stages and Garmin who had brought their bike into the shop several times due to dropout issues.

They implied (without giving specifics) that there is a known issue with at least *some* Garmin units current firmware and the current stages firmware for Gen1 and Gen2. According to them the issue started after a recent update, but neither Garmin nor stages are publicly acknowledging it.

I suspect that a future firmware update from one or the other may help with this.

FWIW, when I was still a Garmin user, I found that rotating my out front mount down/forward a bit, so the back of the unit was lower than the handlebars improved the line of sight to the PM and helped with connectivity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    ^it's frustrating that neither company seems to want to admit fault or even acknowledge an issue and work toward a resolution (standard Garmin, had hoped more from Stages) although I guess since each company makes a competing head unit/power meter there isn't much motivation.

I was able to score a gen 3 stages for not much more than I can sell my gently used gen 2 for so i'll be trying it out when it comes in later this week/early next week. As for now - rode 90' yesterday with my 820 on the stem instead of out front and didn't have a single drop.. clearly it's a signal strength/line of sight issue that's hopefully resolved with gen 3.
    I'll have to try tweaking my out front mount like you mentioned above and see if it makes a difference. Thanks
    Last edited by gloverb103; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:54 AM. Reason: added comment

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    *Update: Gen 3 meter on my out-front mount works perfectly.. no drop issues whatsoever

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    *Update: Gen 3 meter on my out-front mount works perfectly.. no drop issues whatsoever
    That's my experience, too. I haven't had the opportunity to try it with the 800 yet though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12