RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Stan's 340 comp for cyclocross?

I've been considering buying a set of these for next cyclocross season. I would probably run them tubeless with some vittoria tires. Anyone have experience running the Stan's hoops for cyclocross? I'm slightly worried about durability. I only weight 165lbs but these wheels seem to be hit or miss depending on who you talk to. Any other suggestions for a good cross wheelset? Doesn't have to be tubeless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nkranhold View Post
    I've been considering buying a set of these for next cyclocross season. I would probably run them tubeless with some vittoria tires. Anyone have experience running the Stan's hoops for cyclocross? I'm slightly worried about durability. I only weight 165lbs but these wheels seem to be hit or miss depending on who you talk to. Any other suggestions for a good cross wheelset? Doesn't have to be tubeless.
    I've run the Stans on the road and some local guys have had good luck running them for cross. Older 340's were less durable but the 2012 redesign has taken care of that. Popular tires to run tubeless are Michelins and Kendas. Tubeless is a real option, but be prepared for the hassle that goes with it.

My ideal wheelset would be HED belgium tubies to DA/CK/DTswiss hubs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    There are better options out there for cross.
    I tried a set and could get them to burp....running race pressure in a training race.I weigh the same as you.I hit a rut hard in a corner.
    I sold them.
    The Iron Cross looks like it has a little wider inner bead shoulder...but I have never used them.
    The only set up I have not been able to burp is a Bontrager Duster with their rim strip. It's a bear to get tires on and off of though....and far from a light race set up.
    I race on tubulars....