off the back

Stripped brake centering allen head screw

The tiny little thing on my Chorus rear brake. It also seems to have become cross-threaded in it's little hole. Any way of salvaging this?
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    The tiny little thing on my Chorus rear brake. It also seems to have become cross-threaded in it's little hole. Any way of salvaging this?
    You can use something like this in a drill if the head of the screw is not too flush.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952154000P

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    If the brake is working, leave bad enough alone, and recenter the old fashioned way by loosening the mounting bolt, centering the entire caliper and re tighten.

BTW- it might not be as bad as you think. Is there any chance you simply turned it in too far and out of the arm?
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    You can try screw extractors or ez-outs. If that doesn't work you could cut the bolt out. I would just replace the stripped out parts unless you have a tap and die set.

Online Wheel Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    If the brake is working, leave bad enough alone, and recenter the old fashioned way by loosening the mounting bolt, centering the entire caliper and re tighten.
    Agreed. This is going to be the easiest route. If your insistent on getting the screw out, you can try to get a similar size torx wrench. Sometimes that may get enough bite to back the screw out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Ignore it

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    As others have noted, the screw is totally unneeded. Center your brakes in the conventional way (most often you don't even need to loosen the mounting nut). The centering screw is a waste of design and manufacturing effort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    All the suggestions may be helpful, and you might get the screw out. But it's important to focus on the real goal which, I assume, is having a working brake.

So what happens if/when the screw is removed? Can you buy a replacement? Will the threads on the mating part be OK, Can they be salvaged?

Normally, removing a damaged screw is a means to an end. But if you let yourself become distracted by thinking of removing the screw as the end, it might turn out that way. Leaving you with a useless, non-repairable brake (but with the stripped screw out).

See yourself to the end, before you find yourself without options.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause