Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

Super Record 11 vs. DA 7900 DI2

Thinking of building a new bike... What's your take on Super Record 11 vs. DA 7900 DI2?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    My name is Bruce, I'm a Campyholic. There is only one choice.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    not sure what kind of replies you're looking for, but i think you're gonna get more of ^this^. campy rules. shimano rules. they both work great. go try 'em out and make a decision.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Or you can wait a little longer and get CAMPY ELECTRIC.

Formosan Cyclocross
    One has 10 cogs the other has 11.
    How do you think you'll be better served. Push button shifting or easier gradient of gear changes? IMO Campy looks and feels better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Worth mentioning that most of the Tour de France Podium was on Dura Ace Electric. Mountains, Points, Yellow. Campy took white and Sram took the team.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Ceiling Man View Post
    Worth mentioning that most of the Tour de France Podium was on Dura Ace Electric. Mountains, Points, Yellow. Campy took white and Sram took the team.
    How is that worth mentioning? It would be worth mentioning if despite BMC switching to Di2 this year, Cadel refused and continued to run Campagnolo. Pro setups are "worth mentioning" if they deviate from their sponsors (which they sometimes do, then cover logos with black tape)... Otherwise they typically run what the sponsor gave them. It is worth mentioning that Cancellara doesn't run Di2 on his roadbike, only on his TT bike. That kind of tidbit is perhaps worth mentioning...

To the OP, I like Campy and the new hoods are great. I've tried Di2 and it shifts very, very well. If you are dropping that kind of coin, as one other poster suggested I'd wait to compare Di2 to Campy Electric.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary View Post
    How is that worth mentioning?
    I think thats a bit harsh. Yes the poster might have fleshed out his point. For many DI2 is unknown technology and TdF performance is relevant to its reliability.
    I'm not taking issue with your opinion, just think its important to encourage new members not just look for the easy put down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I do think it's worth mentioning that a number of sponsored pros (Cancellara and several other Leopard Trek riders) have opt'd for mechanical DA.

As to TdF performance/reliability, that really is irrelevant. If I had a team of Formula One mechanics to "go over" my car every night, it would probably go a million miles and never break down.

Finally, it was Specialized/Sram on the top two steps last year. All the "good stuff" is just that - "good stuff."

Me, I'd go Campy if for no other reason than I like to be able to work on my own bikes. Di2 either works or it doesn't, and if it doesn't you pretty much have to send it back to Shimano.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Try both and see what you like best. They're both really good groups. The shifting operations are different, the end result is the same. Who cares what pro riders use. They're either paid to ride a certian group, or superstitious and refuse to change.

I'd probably go with Dura Ace, but only because I have several spare Shimano compatible wheel sets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I honestly did not like Di2 when I tested it out... I like having the cable feed back of the shift. with Di2, I did not know if I shifted. It was really that smooth. but i would go campy... Because Campy is the best. A few years down the line, I am going to go campy
    Bikes:
    Felt F95 2011: my main road ride

Jamis Dragon 29 Sport 2011: my main MTB(Steel is Real)

Raleigh Record 1976: Single speed in the making

Possible Fuji cross frame I might get... and paint...

RoadBikeReview Member
    And if you wait long enough SRAM may well have their own electronic shifting. ;)
    To my perceptions unless you are constantly changing gears, hood comfort would be my priority then shifting performance. YMMV on priority order.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have had Ultegra, , DA and now Campy SR11. Wouldn't go back Campy all the way. At the end of the day though, it's what you like. DA and SR11 are both great groups.
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campagnolo Chorus 11 group-set. Campagnolo Neutron Ultra wheel-set. Easton EC90 aero handlebars on 3T team stem. Specialized Romin Expert 155mm saddle. Look Keo Carbon Blade pedals. Garmin Edge 800. Lizard skin tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but that post makes no sense.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Having used Record 11 for a while on my race bike, I've been very pleased with the way it shifts. Between cost and having to rely on a battery, I just didn't think the Di2 was that impressive. I personally don't see the application on a road bike.

Scheck still dropped his chain with DI2.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Di2 by far all the way.
    Hard pedaling out of the saddle on Di2 is just amazing and the fact all sprockets are usable without the FD chain noise as well as eliminating the look down to trim with mechanicals. These things I'm sure you've already heard before.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    eBay is finally cleaning up its act.
    Report fake Pinarello products/decals on eBay
    just click: report item

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Tried SRAM RED and finally Di2 for almost 2 months and it is awesome. Don't worry about the feedback, this thing works without problems. You can easily shift front gear under load and while standing. Also the rear derailler trims itself automatically and this is very abvious once you reach the rear smallest cog.

I don not have any experience on the camp. sorry.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoMike View Post
    Di2 by far all the way.
    Hard pedaling out of the saddle on Di2 is just amazing and the fact all sprockets are usable without the FD chain noise as well as eliminating the look down to trim with mechanicals. These things I'm sure you've already heard before.
    Campy has 5 positions trim on the front derailer.

hell, you can even trim the front derailer on old friction down tube shifters.

no need of Di2 for that, uless you are really dumb or lazy to trim your own FD
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover View Post
    Campy has 5 positions trim on the front derailer.

hell, you can even trim the front derailer on old friction down tube shifters.

no need of Di2 for that, uless you are really dumb or lazy to trim your own FD
    That is the stupidest thing I have read, the technology has moved on, Di2 is brilliant. The fact that it can trim automatically is brilliant, if Campy manual is so great why are they developing electrical?

Di2 shifting is the best at the moment, sure the others are good but, good for old tech.

I have ridden both, Di2 just works and requires no mucking around once set up, you can focus on riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    To the O.P., one other thing to consider is the frame you plan on using, Di2 specific frames are very nice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sp3000 View Post
    That is the stupidest thing I have read, the technology has moved on, Di2 is brilliant. The fact that it can trim automatically is brilliant, if Campy manual is so great why are they developing electrical?

Di2 shifting is the best at the moment, sure the others are good but, good for old tech.

I have ridden both, Di2 just works and requires no mucking around once set up, you can focus on riding.
    That's not entirely true, there have been reports of electrical interferences that require you to reset the entire system mid-ride. Don't get me wrong, it's cool but electronics are not infallible... Di2 also requires a finger push per shift, whereas Campy electric will continue shifting when you hold the button (the difference between having to click each channel on the TV remote or just holding the button down to flick through the channels). I know which functionality I'd prefer myself.
    Last edited by Mr. Scary; 07-30-2011 at 03:48 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    During tdf I did try to look after battery equipped bikes, the only ones I saw was in tempo stages. Luckily mechanical systems still rules, I've spent a long time to accept that plastic bikes are here to stay, don't know if I'll survive my worries about the electronical c..p. (for instance in the process industry safety systems are mechanical as electronical systems are not reliable enough)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Faapaa View Post
    During tdf I did try to look after battery equipped bikes, the only ones I saw was in tempo stages. Luckily mechanical systems still rules, I've spent a long time to accept that plastic bikes are here to stay, don't know if I'll survive my worries about the electronical c..p. (for instance in the process industry safety systems are mechanical as electronical systems are not reliable enough)

We have to forget about who is using and not using the DI2. If this thing is working without issues, then that's it. If it is working for me, then I am happy and if not then there is a problem and it is not good and not reliable enough.

I can say that the best phrase I heard in this thread is that " FOCUS ON RIDING". It is very annoying when the shifting is not working properly. I had a a problem with SRAM red on one of the gears that was not shifting properly up, it may be my mechanic problem or other issue. The system was only one year old. When I was doing TT it was very annoying and in training I hate the bike and hate myself.

NOW SHIFT WITHOUT ISSUES with DI2 and no cable adjustments. That thing works whatever people are saying.

CAMP can do multiple shifts, that is perfect, but with DI2 you can press 9 shifts very quicly to go the smallest cog, it is also easy.

Hope it is clear, and one last note is that every one has is own taste, so that is why there are different products, otherwise we end up buying one product only.

The best thing is to try both and decide.

thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zakyma View Post
    CAMP can do multiple shifts, that is perfect, but with DI2 you can press 9 shifts very quicly to go the smallest cog, it is also easy.
    Pushing the button 9 times vs. a few fast sweeps by Campy. This is one reason I'm not switching anytime soon.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    That is the stupidest thing I have read,
    nope, the stupidest thing is to praise Di2 because it gives you automatic FD trim, c'mon FD trim is one of the dumbests things to do, if you need to pay $$$$$ to not have to look down for trimming, then you have bigger problems
    the technology has moved on, Di2 is brilliant. The fact that it can trim automatically is brilliant, if Campy manual is so great why are they developing electrical?
    To get lotsa money from people like you ?

A bike a mechanical wonder, one of the the greatest inventions, if you need electrical or motor assisted components then get a mobilette or a moped.
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast