RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Super Record Chain tool?

Has anyone had any experience with the new 11sp campy chains? Says on their site that you have to use their 200.00 chain tool!

This can't be right! Right???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

yes...

Quote Originally Posted by 1banger
    Has anyone had any experience with the new 11sp campy chains? Says on their site that you have to use their 200.00 chain tool!

Not only is it necessary, but most US sellers are asking $300 for it. I got mine from Ribble in the UK for $147.

The reason that this tool is necessary is that the 11 speed joining pin must be peened or mushroomed on the right end of the pin. The new tool has an arm with a support pin that swings into position and supports the left end of the pin, while the specially tapered drive pin peens the right end. No other tool on the market will do this job.

This tool will not work with 10 speed chains either. The outer plates of all 10 speed chains are much too thick to fit into the tool.

The only other alternative is to try a 5.9mm connecting link. It's been reported that the width across the inner plates is the same as the Campy UN 10 speed chain. If this is correct, then several links will fit properly, but you might get a click every time the wider link goes over the cogs and/or it might affect shifting. Links that might fit would include a SRAM 10powerloc, Forster superlink, model 4 and the KMC missing link, made specifically to fit a Campy 10 UN chain.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    The way I see it, if you can even afford Super Record "It goes to 11" 11, then why the hell are you complaining about money?
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

not just SR...

Quote Originally Posted by CleavesF
    The way I see it, if you can even afford Super Record "It goes to 11" 11, then why the hell are you complaining about money?
    The tool is needed for Chorus, Record, or SR, since there are only two chains, the Chrous level with solid pins and the Record level with hollow pins.

Chorus groups can be had for around $1200 from Europe, so you don't have to be a high roller to need the tool.

kytyree
    I had been curious if you could close a 10 speed chain with it but I guess not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks C-40.

I guess one has to hope someone will make a connecting link thin enough to fit the new campy chains.

I like to take my chain off for cleaning.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    The tool is needed for Chorus, Record, or SR, since there are only two chains, the Chrous level with solid pins and the Record level with hollow pins.

Chorus groups can be had for around $1200 from Europe, so you don't have to be a high roller to need the tool.
    Wow, Campy really messed up on this one. Talk about screwing around with the "105" guys.

Oh well, this is probably why I don't deal Campy. One day...
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Quote Originally Posted by CleavesF
    Wow, Campy really messed up on this one. Talk about screwing around with the "105" guys.

Oh well, this is probably why I don't deal Campy. One day...
    Campy Chorus is way above 105 or Ultegra.

Ultegra's about on a par with Centaur and 105 would be similar to Veloce. All are 10 speed. You don't a special tool to join a Campy 10 chain.

A Centaur 8-piece group with aluminum brake levers only runs about $750.

banned
    Apr 2008

Hummmmm. .

Quote Originally Posted by 1banger
    Says on their site that you have to use their 200.00 chain tool!

I'll wait to go to 11 speed, and more than likley KMC will make a better 11-speed chain like they make IMO a better 10-speed one than Campy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

well....

Quote Originally Posted by QQUIKM3
    I'll wait to go to 11 speed, and more than likley KMC will make a better 11-speed chain like they make IMO a better 10-speed one than Campy.
    KMC chains are decent, but they still elongate faster than a Campy chain. No chain I've ever tested matches Campy for producing very little elongation, even after 6,000 miles.

I expect that you're right though, others will make an 11 speed chain, but the outer sideplates are so thin that it may exclude the use of a connector link, unless the width across the inner plates and rollers is reduced and the outer plate thickness increased. That will reduce chain life, with less bearing surface.

banned
    Apr 2008

I agree. .

Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    I expect that you're right though, others will make an 11 speed chain, but the outer sideplates are so thin that it may exclude the use of a connector link, unless the width across the inner plates and rollers is reduced and the outer plate thickness increased.
    I really think they (Campy) are pushing the limits with these chains being so narrow. I know "double shear" is the friend of the engineer, but I'm going to closely monitor the boards for broken 11-speed chains. I'm leery of first generation anything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

expect failures...

The biggest reason for failures will be improper installation, just like in the early days of 10 speed and the Permalink. A lot of people installed the permalink incorrectly, even using the Campy tool. 11 speed users will skip the Campy tool entirely and not even peen the right end of the pin. When it fails they'll be the first to complain.

I'm not too concerned about the thinner plates, since they are made of stronger material and have no holes to lighten the chain. Some brands were taking big risks, punching big holes and slots in the side plates.