RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Supersix EVO BB30 help

Hello, I am having the dreaded BB30 problems on my '14 SS EVO. I know there is a lot of info out there about these probs, but one thing I haven't seen is what I am dealing with. I have the creaks of course, so I looked at the bearings. The inner race is difficult to move and feels gritty, so I take it to the local shop to have them work on it. When he replaces the bearings, the old ones now feel fine outside of the bike, and the new ones feel gritty inside the bike. It is as the bike shell is so tight that it is crushing the bearings. I install the cranks again, and it is super creaky.

This bike is amazing, but I can't ride it if it is creaky. I would rather ride my silent CAAD9 that is by no means as amazing, but i can't deal with creaks.

Any advice? I know some have suggested loctite, etc, but, I am not sure how that would fix this situation.

Thanks

Forever a Student
    Look into Hambini. If he makes a bottom bracket that fits your bike, buy it and install it exactly like he tells you to.

Your frame is likely far out of spec. Yes, it's probably crushing the bearings. You need to take the frame out of the equation now. To do this you'll need to put a large one piece unit in the frame, it won't go in easy. It will take over the tolerances and ensure things work correctly.
    use a torque wrench