RoadBikeReview Member

Tektro 720 canti brake adjustment question

Help! My Salsa Casseroll came with a front rack but I left it off to keep the weight down. I have a temporary need for the rack, so I bolted it on the frame tonight. It mounts on the cantilever brake fork studs and the top of the fork. However, when I reconnected the bolts that hold the canti brakes to the fork it caused my Tektro 720 brake pads to close up tightly on the rim. The only way I can get the brakes to work is to back the bolts out so far that I am afraid that they will work loose while riding. As soon as I try to tighten the bolts, it pushes the pads closed. Any suggestions?

I posted this in the Cyclocross forum as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tektro 720 canti brake adjustment question-salsa-2.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Not seeing your rack or the brake with the mounting bolt off it's hard to say what the problem is, but here's where to start looking.

Normally the face of the rack mount should butt up against the end of the canti stud so it acts the same as the the bolt head does.

If the rack slips into the stud it'll compress the brake and jam it so it binds. If that's what's happening, put a 6mm washer behind the rack mount so it can't slide up onto the stud, and you should be OK.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll try to take a photo tonight. Here's what I did to make it work for now. I noticed that the canti brake bolt had a decent dab of blue Loctite on the threads, so maybe the bolt just doesn't need to be tightened much. If I turned it more than hand-tight, it would cause the brakes pads to bind. So I added more Loctite to the bolt, and just hand-tightened it. Seems to work fine now, but it just doesn't seem right not tightening a bolt any more than that.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Long shot, but check and see if the short ends of the two coil springs are in their appropriate pivot boss tab holes.

/w
    Last edited by wim; 09-15-2011 at 04:36 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    When you're ready to look at it again, check to see if the boss extends beyond the brake arm by a little bit. It should by a hair so that a fully tightened bolt bottoms against the boss without binding the brake. While locktite is OK, you shouldn't depend on if for such a critical application.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    When you're ready to look at it again, check to see if the boss extends beyond the brake arm by a little bit. It should by a hair so that a fully tightened bolt bottoms against the boss without binding the brake. While locktite is OK, you shouldn't depend on if for such a critical application.
    +1...this was my thought as well. Also be cautious not to over tighten the bolts as this can cause the studs to "mushroom" at the tips and prevent the levers from rotating freely.