Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    just say no to drugs.
    "We must roll up our sleeves and fight the war on drugs" - George H. W. Bush
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Never. What's wrong with trolling the troll? Or did you not get that it was a troll post?

Trolling a troll is one thing. Your post was still way over the top.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
    URL please.
    here ya go, dude: Electric Bikes - Bike Forums

good luck.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Cooper1960
    Oct 2010

... I took a opioide pill...

Great, just what a need, another supplement I need to start carrying on rides.
    Miles of agony for moments of ahhh!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks black francois & lombard.
    One pill every third or fourth year does not an addict make. Riding injured beats hitchhiking, which is useless around here. I've walked 17 miles before to get a tube. The pay-phone 1/2 way back didn't work.
    I've got a spare bike out at the country place, will look at installing electric assist on that. Getting back to town after non-serious injury is the goal.
    And about my tiny kid's bike - it is just my size. I'm happy for you that you all had enormous european ancestors. I didn't.
    I'm reading on here & asking questions because I intend to purchase something to make some changes. Drop handlebars are not in the program, but there will be changes. The websites of bike parts vendors use so much jargon my purchases don't work. For example I bought some SS cables last week to put brake levers on the handlebar extensions. They came in without coiled outsides. ?????
    Last edited by indianajo; 1 Week Ago at 10:24 AM.

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    Learn their jargon, might make things easier.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    And about my tiny kid's bike - it is just my size. I'm happy for you that you all had enormous european ancestors. I didn't.
    How do you know I have European ancestors? Believe it or not, there are other "enormous" people around the globe besides Europeans.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Some of my ancestors were Native American, and rather small, too....
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Some of my ancestors were Native American, and rather small, too....
    Cool. I get short traits both from Appalachian native women with no corn/beans/squash flatland to provide carbs, and from short British Iles men imported to dig coal in low seams. Shawnee tribe still operates in Ohio; they were tall warriors by reputation. At the Lewis& Clark bicentenial and the Clark cabin reenactments Shawnee warrior actors run taller than my family does.
    I've ridden Harvest Homecoming ride, Hope ride, I get passed by Sunnyside Wheelman bike club regularly, I ride the waterfront trail. 99% leggy Europeans are on bikes, a couple of Africans, no Asiatics at all. Asiatics do live here, I see them in the parks and on the waterfront, but not on bikes. The 3 bike shop owners I've visited are all tall & fair. Your experience may differ. I was responding to the short jibe posted above. "troll" could be an accurate description of the body I was issued. Not wrinkly, not much beard, but the legs are really short. Many ancestors crawled around and dug in coal mines for a living.
    Here is the bike today with almost a week's groceries in the basket. I tried to show my fit on the seat but can't figure out how to get the delay shutter function off one second.
    Planned improvement:1 replace Shimano SIS 7 spd rear sprocket that drops balls & breaks deraileur frames, with Sturmey Archer 8 spd IGH. Replace thumb shifter causing hand problems with twist grip.
    2. Brake levers on handlebar extenders so I can ride up on seat when in traffic.
    3. Brakes that don't lock the front wheel when they get a stick in them. The ones that do are rim brakes. Four piles of dead tree were on the berm of Hwy 3 last week, one on Middle Rd.
    4. More high durometer padding on seat. Over 3 hours gets to be a real pain.
    4. Longer frame with extra length behind the seat for more carrying capacity ie bodaboda from yubacycles. Panniers from them. Aluminum build may compensate the extra material.
    5. Longer stem to get handlebars up. I'm padded on my gluteal muscles, not in my crotch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tempted by the dark side-fhd0012.jpg  
    Last edited by indianajo; 1 Week Ago at 03:58 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd like to know, how do you pedal without hitting those baskets with your heels?

Interesting that you say you don't see any Asians riding bikes. Some of the top A+ riders in my club are Asian.

Sure, longer legs put one at an advantage on the bike. But I also know plenty of smaller riders who can kick arse on the bike.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    OK, having slogged through your long and often incoherent post, I got to your planned upgrades. Lets consider them one at a time:

1 replace Shimano SIS 7 spd rear sprocket that drops balls & breaks deraileur frames, with Sturmey Archer 8 spd IGH. Replace thumb shifter causing hand problems with twist grip.

A 7-speed is likely using 126mm spacing. A Sturmey Archer 8-speed hub requires 135mm spacing. You have an aluminum frame, where dropout spacing can NOT be cold-set.

2. Brake levers on handlebar extenders so I can ride up on seat when in traffic.

Those extenders are only clamped-on, and will rotate on a hard stop, throwing you over the bars.

3. Brakes that don't lock the front wheel when they get a stick in them. The ones that do are rim brakes. Four piles of dead tree were on the berm of Hwy 3 last week, one on Middle Rd.

Umm...those brakes you have ARE rim brakes. Also, you started to let your mind wander there...

4. More high durometer padding on seat. Over 3 hours gets to be a real pain.

Umm....yeah, whatever.....

4. Longer frame with extra length behind the seat for more carrying capacity ie bodaboda from yubacycles. Panniers from them. Aluminum build may compensate the extra material.

Hey, you actually have an idea there! Your current frame is, frankly, a cheap, heavy pile of junk. Wait a minute; a SECOND point #4??? Is this question #4a, or an entirely different question?

5. Longer stem to get handlebars up. I'm padded on my gluteal muscles, not in my crotch.

Yeah, or just adjust the angle of your seat. Or maybe raise your current stem up way past the "maximum height" marking if you want to live dangerously? The height of your saddle compared to your stem tells me that your frame is way smaller than you need. A rough guess is that this bike was made for some lady who is about 5'6".

Sounds like you need a custom-made bike. Might be able to have one built for a little under $2000...Sure beats spending $500+ on a $99 department store bike. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, after all....

I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12