Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017

Tempted by the dark side

Last year when I fell & strained a muscle at my summer camp, I took a opioide pill left over from a dental procedure and pedaled 27 miles home. That went fine.
    I'm 67. Next time might not go fine. I do cut trees and work under cars out there.
    I don't want to buy a new car. I hate modern cars, they go "check engine" state in 10 years even at low mileage, and have 6 explosives aimed at your head. I still have good hearing. I hate motor scooters, they are way too loud, they stink, they last about 18 months: to watch the neighbors.
    My bike weighs 50 lb already with the metal baskets I made. 5 lb more wouldn't hurt anything, particularly in the middle.
    I Looked up this electric attachement for my MTB: GNGELECTRIC---Electric bike conversion kitElectric trike kitHub motorGas bike kit - Mid-Drive Kits
    I don't intend to USE it, pedaling is good for my 67 year old heart. But accidents happen and If I'm stuck out at my summer camp, taxis would never be able to find me and the cell phone only does 911 unless I pay Verizon's very rich charge for a lot of features I'll never use with my flip phone.
    Anybody have experience with these or some other reputable brand electric drive?
    How much drag do the "first stage" electric kits, that go behind the crank, exert? Old gas mopeds were horrible as bicycles. I don't mind unbolting the drive when I'm not using it I carry 3 lb of tools anyway. Is that doable or advantageous.
    Can you get 27 miles out of one? Or 50 miles: I might want to go to a fall party 50 miles away without renting a car.
    I have had no luck getting any used crank out, so putting a second chain on for a "second stage" drive unit and making it a 4 sprocket drive is a non-starter for me. 3 sprockets is wide enough. Yes I do use low first up a hill, and high seventh at 35 mph down several hills. I'm using 21 spd SIS but am moving to the 8 speed S80 Sturmey IG hub as soon as I get the right length spokes. Pushing the downshift lever 2 to 5 times every stop sign on the 21 spd SIS is making the right metatarsal behind my thumb swell up and turn colors. At least the Sturmey Archer S80 has a handlebar twist shift.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Is this an AI generated post?

No idea what that was about. I don't know whether op is asking a question or making a statement.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    Is this an AI generated post?

No idea what that was about. I don't know whether op is asking a question or making a statement.
    That would imply intelligence in the post.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Yes you can get longer range by riding in Eco and getting a system that will get you the mileage. A cheap bike will not get you the mileage.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I really think you chose the wrong forum to ask this question. I'd suggest going over to Bike Forums; they have 2 forums for people like you, the electrical assist forum, and the over-50 forum......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
    Tempted by the dark side

Last year when I fell & strained a muscle at my summer camp, I took an opioide pill left over from a dental procedure and pedaled 27 miles home. That went fine. I'm 67...
    haha. awesome. heroin was exactly what i was thinking upon seeing the thread title.

agree this is the wrong forum to ask about electric assist.

next time, pack advil, lots of water, and a cell phone to call a pal.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Next time you strain your neck, just take 3 pills, then you won't care that you can't pedal anywhere.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Last year when I fell & strained a muscle at my summer camp, I took a opioide pill left over from a dental procedure and pedaled 27 miles home. That went fine.
    I'm 67. Next time might not go fine. I do cut trees and work under cars out there.
    I don't want to buy a new car. I hate modern cars, they go "check engine" state in 10 years even at low mileage, and have 6 explosives aimed at your head. I still have good hearing. I hate motor scooters, they are way too loud, they stink, they last about 18 months: to watch the neighbors.
    My bike weighs 50 lb already with the metal baskets I made. 5 lb more wouldn't hurt anything, particularly in the middle.
    I Looked up this electric attachement for my MTB: GNGELECTRIC---Electric bike conversion kitElectric trike kitHub motorGas bike kit - Mid-Drive Kits
    I don't intend to USE it, pedaling is good for my 67 year old heart. But accidents happen and If I'm stuck out at my summer camp, taxis would never be able to find me and the cell phone only does 911 unless I pay Verizon's very rich charge for a lot of features I'll never use with my flip phone.
    Anybody have experience with these or some other reputable brand electric drive?
    How much drag do the "first stage" electric kits, that go behind the crank, exert? Old gas mopeds were horrible as bicycles. I don't mind unbolting the drive when I'm not using it I carry 3 lb of tools anyway. Is that doable or advantageous.
    Can you get 27 miles out of one? Or 50 miles: I might want to go to a fall party 50 miles away without renting a car.
    I have had no luck getting any used crank out, so putting a second chain on for a "second stage" drive unit and making it a 4 sprocket drive is a non-starter for me. 3 sprockets is wide enough. Yes I do use low first up a hill, and high seventh at 35 mph down several hills. I'm using 21 spd SIS but am moving to the 8 speed S80 Sturmey IG hub as soon as I get the right length spokes. Pushing the downshift lever 2 to 5 times every stop sign on the 21 spd SIS is making the right metatarsal behind my thumb swell up and turn colors. At least the Sturmey Archer S80 has a handlebar twist shift.
    Takes "incomprehensible" to a new level.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If I understand you:
    • You work on cars but don't own one
    • You have a cellphone but no pre- or post-paid plan, hence can only call 911
    • Even if you had a working phone a taxi couldn't find you. Is this "camp" in Roselawn?
    • You can rebuild a rear wheel but can't get a crank off
    • Having eliminated all other possibilities you want to install a heavy, expensive mechanism that requires a charged battery to function

Your post reminds me of a Dear Abby comment that of the letters she received, the clinkers were all postmarked New Haven.
    It's Mueller Time

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    • You can rebuild a rear wheel but can't get a crank off.......

Yes, this part smells of B.S. I'm betting that his idea of "rebuilding a wheel" is taking a vise-grip and over-tensioning all the spokes on his wheel.....

BTW, you really should pay off that Jitterbug phone account.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think our resident troll is back. One of his personas was a cranky older cyclist.

Huge in Japan
    I thought this was going to be about putting car tires on a motorcycle.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Do a search on the OP's only other started thread. Remember this one?

https://tinyurl.com/yayxqjat
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member

This is the bike right? I think you don't need an electric motor, you do need a new bike. For the money you spend on the conversion you could buy a bike that fits and is much more user friendly.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post

This is the bike right? I think you don't need an electric motor, you do need a new bike. For the money you spend on the conversion you could buy a bike that fits and is much more user friendly.
    Wow....ummm...what a bike.....; Wal-Mart quality frame (a girl's frame, yet!), beat-to-$h!t fenders, bar extenders aimed towards the rider to hit his thighs while turning, a mattress saddle with springs that must weigh a ton, and paperboy baskets. Ummm...I guess the OP doesn't realize this is roadbikereview.com, not departmentstorejunkbikereview.com.

Also, it's never a good idea to post when you are intoxicated....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Wow....ummm...what a bike.....; Wal-Mart quality frame (a girl's frame, yet!), beat-to-$h!t fenders, bar extenders aimed towards the rider to hit his thighs while turning, a mattress saddle with springs that must weigh a ton, and paperboy baskets. Ummm...I guess the OP doesn't realize this is roadbikereview.com, not departmentstorejunkbikereview.com.

Also, it's never a good idea to post when you are intoxicated....
    No need for those comments.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Given the lack of conversation from the OP, this thread just screams

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Wow....ummm...what a bike.....; Wal-Mart quality frame (a girl's frame, yet!), beat-to-$h!t fenders......................
    Unnecessarily mean, No-Time. When are you going to grow up?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Unnecessarily mean, No-Time. When are you going to grow up?
    Never. What's wrong with trolling the troll? Or did you not get that it was a troll post?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    haha. awesome. heroin was exactly what i was thinking upon seeing the thread title.

agree this is the wrong forum to ask about electric assist.

next time, pack advil, lots of water, and a cell phone to call a pal.

URL please.
    I ride bikes on road. This is a road bike forum. 30 miles today back from summer camp. I cubed out by carrying laundry out, so I ran out of food. I'm seriously thinking about the Yubacycle bodaboda, which should carry my welder out there or enough food for 5 days plus laundry.
    You elitists should read an industrial ergonomics book and think about the posture you assume when riding drop handlebars on road. Before your ruptured disk causes to be in pain every second of every day of the rest of your life.
    New info- there is a disease out there carried by ticks that causes incoherence, inability to walk, high fever, goes on from there but they got the guy to the emergency room. I really need a way out of the summer camp and back to cell phone service somewhat lower in urgency than an ambulence from the 911 people. An electric battery chain drive stored out at the camp would provide a way out seven miles to cell phone service, without the maintenance charges of a Verizon account ($70 a month for my flip phone).
    As vet, I take NSAID fairly continuously to cope with "Viet Nam era knees". No cartledge between bones. Riding the bike enough to produce endomorphine helps with that pain. Where did you do your service? Manhattan? Seattle?
    I hoped in 3 days somebody would have pointed out an electric system he installed. Apparently I'm going to have to make it all up myself, because you guys think carbon fiber is the answer to every question. Next act- welding a riser stem out of tube stock because nobody has ever done that- since 1960. One that fits turn back handdlebars with a twist shifter. To go with my welded up fenders, which were not made in a certain country that caused a lot news last week. And the welded up baskets, which are okay but not big enough for a week's groceries.
    Last edited by indianajo; 07-11-2017 at 05:02 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    oops.
    Last edited by velodog; 07-11-2017 at 05:23 PM. Reason: quoted text didn't quote
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post

Isn't that the bike that Tom Joad was riding?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Isn't that the bike that Tom Joad was riding?
    More fact free drool.
    You shoud save any facts you know for yourself. Maybe you can sell them on E-bay.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Nobody here has installed an electric motor because this is a forum inhabited by people who ride bikes for exercise and sport. No Time Tolouse had it right, you should check into a forum where people discuss electric bikes. This is not that forum.

good luck
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Fecal indicator
    ... I took a opioide pill...
    just say no to drugs.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast