RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Is there a brifter that works with Suntour Cyclone?

I have read numerous posts about using Campy shifters with Shimano derailleurs and various other combinations including SRAM. Has anyone done this with a Suntour Cyclone derailleur? I have an indexed 6 speed that works great but I don't like downtube shifters anymore. I was hoping I could create some kind of frankenderailleur that would work with the Suntour.
    Thanks,
    scott

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmmm interesting question. I am a fan of the suntour cyclone, sprint, and Superbe Pro sets, but will it work with 6 speed franken bike set up? Lets look at this piece by piece.

1. DO you plan on still staying 6 speed or where you planning to change your freewheel to a 7spd or even an 8 spd. That said i am scratching my head trying to remmeber if a 8 sd would even work on your hub, someone with a better memory than me will have to answer that question.

2 What shifters would you like to use? Are u going the classic route and use say 600 ultegra 8 speed? I have used these classics on a 7 speed freewheel with little or no issues because the spacing between a 126 mm hub with a 7spd freewheel was very very similar to a 130mm hub using 8 speed.

3. Do you absolutly need to reuse the cyclone rear der? That said you can always buy the shifters and freewheel and then try it with the cyclone. If it doesnt work than a slightly used 600 ultegra 7spd or 8spd rear der would only set you back about 35.00.

I tried a 600 sis rear der on a 9spd drivetrain and it almost worked perfectly. ALmost. not quite perfect. I just got a nice set of 600 ultegra 8spd off ebay just a few months ago for 150.00 and they are like new.
    A little trick with older shimano brifters is sometimes they will stop working, but a quick shot of triflow into their workings gets them right back up and running again.

Still it sounds interesting. Keep us posted on what you find out.
    Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Hi crossracer:
    Right now I'm just trying to figure out if it would work after reading all of these shimagnolo threads.
    Staying 6 speed would be great since it's already on the wheel, but I'm not sure about the spacings. I was hoping an earlier 8 speed brifter would have the right cable pull, but I know there are people on this board far more versed in this than I am. Probably your suggestion no. 3 is the smartest, but I didn't know if someone else has already gone through this drill.
    thanks,
    scott

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003

Its all about the spacing

Take a look at:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

You are looking for a combo that moves about 5.5mm.

duh...
    interesting question.... (ultra) 6, 7 were the same spacing or really close. so I guess it comes down to whether cable pull matches on the shifter and rear der. an alternative solution would be to put those dt shifters on a paul thumbie or kelly takeoff

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

Poseur
    How about bar end shifters?
    I like cats, I just can't finish a whole one by myself.

n00bsauce
    SunTour and Shimano rear derailleurs had a parallelogram design that was pretty close to each other. Later SunTour derailleurs were very close, if not the same, as Shimano. SunTour touted this as a marketing ploy to try and stave off the Shimano onslaught, to no avail.

Earlier SunTour designs, like your "6" speed derailleur (derailleurs really have no speeds, that's in the shifters and cassette) were close but not identical in their parallelogram design to Shimanos. You could get them to work with Shimano shifters but not as well as they worked with their own shifters or as well as a Shimano/Shimano setup. The Suntour derailleur might work with Campy shifters with a Shiftmate, or it might not, that's a tough call. About the only way to know for sure would be to try it.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Suntour had their version of handlebar mounted shifters called Command shifters. They were big & ugly. A friend of mine used to run that set up.

The other option is the Modolo morphos shifter. Compatability wise its a crap shoot. Thats why modern drive trains are dedicated systems. The cassette spacing is one of the key issues, so its trial & error.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks all-lots of good stuff.
    It seems like a lot of people on RBR still like and use suntour stuff, so I was hoping someone had figured out a way to make it work. I think one of the retrofit or barcon solutions is going to have to be the way to go.
    thanks again.
    scott

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryR
    How about bar end shifters?

How about them? Shimano DA 8 with a Sprint rear Deraileur on my wife's RB-1. I've run that same Sprint on my 29er and a Gripshift for 1x8.

[IMG]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA[/IMG]

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    TWB:
    please forgive the uneducated questions, but did you put a shimano 8 cog cassette on that bike, and do the DA 8 barc end shifters index?
    Thanks,
    scott

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scottk
    TWB:
    please forgive the uneducated questions, but did you put a shimano 8 cog cassette on that bike, and do the DA 8 barc end shifters index?
    Thanks,
    scott

It's a DA (from 1990) 8 speed bar end. the cassette is a Shimano 8 speed, 12-25 I think. Yes, she uses it in the index function. She's not inclined to suffer friction shifting when she sleeps with a mechanic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    So based on the indexing working on bar end shifters do you think that the DA brake-shifter would work?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know where you live, but is there someone around you who has an older componet bicycle who would be willing to have some fun. You bring the pizza and drinks and your der and wheel and i have a bike with say 600 ultegra 8spd on it it would oly be a matter of an hour of fun to see what we got.
    Personally if it was me i would jump at the chance to try something interesting like this. Maybe there is someone the local bike shop can recomend to give this a shot.
    Bill

banned
    So based on the indexing working on bar end shifters do you think that the DA brake-shifter would work?
    It's worth a try. As said, if the parallelograms are the same between the later Suntour and Shimano it should work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Good advice Bill and TWB. I will contact some LBS's

Old, slow, and fat.
    The LBS may not be yer best bet. :nah Find a guy locally that don't work for a shop and you'll have a much better chance of getting them to say yes to fiddling with yer stuff. Someone like me, but I'm in Tucson, and don't have any 8sp stuff left.

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    What about campy 10 and "Alternate Cable Routing B"

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html#alternate

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is old but if it helps i'm running a suntour cyclone derailleur with shimano rx100 brifters, works perfectly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    thanks 1793- is that 7 or 8 speed?

RoadBikeReview Member
    thanks 1793- is that 7 or 8 speed?
    (Sorry should of mentioned that) They are 7 speed

Banned forever.....or not
    7 speed Accushift plus

A really stupid idea, to try to keep up with shimano
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    7 speed Accushift plus

A really stupid idea, to try to keep up with shimano
    Those are the aforementioned Command Shifters. "Accushift" is Suntour for "SIS". These had a cult following and apparently worked very well, along with being simple, cheap and separate from the brake lever.

Kelly Take Offs are a simple way to get STI like function by moving DT levers up by the brake lever.

Larry Lackapants

suntour vx friction+ 9 spd sti

I have read numerous posts about using Campy shifters with Shimano derailleurs and various other combinations including SRAM. Has anyone done this with a Suntour Cyclone derailleur? I have an indexed 6 speed that works great but I don't like downtube shifters anymore. I was hoping I could create some kind of frankenderailleur that would work with the Suntour.
    Thanks,
    scott
    Hi,

I've used a suntour vx (designed for friction) with 9 spd STI,s on a 9 spd shimano drivetrain.
    The leverage is pretty much the same as shimano, i.e. for the same amount of cable movement you have the same derailleur movement.

The upper pulley however is further away from the cogs , for the Suntour derailleur, I suppose it's the same for the cyclone and a bit closer to shimano for cyclone-7000.

Still it's the chain and cogs that shift. Therefore, id say
    - sti + corresponding modern cassette + adequate chain -> give it a try, good chance to work

- sti + old cassette + old chain -> good chance not to work even if the cog spacing corresponds to the cog spacing of the the modern cassette associatet to the STIs. Problem is that the old cassette + old chain are not index optimized, or not optimized enough..

in any case, you have to match the cassette to the STI, in order to have a chance.
    "There are only 3 motivating factors that change human behavior; pain, fear or ambition. Which button do you want to press?" Steve Hogg