Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Is there a right direction to install a (Shimano) front wheel?

7K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Jay Strongbow 
#1 ·
I usually install it so that the writings on the hub are not upside down when seated on the bike, but does it matters at all? I'm thinking it does not since everything seems symmetrical and my tires don't have directional thread patterns. Can the cones adjustment or locknuts be affected in any way?

#7 ·
The only thing that plays here is aesthetics and convention, nothing more. From that stand point:

1) QR's are always on the non-drive side.

2) The hub labels should be right side up while standing on the bike.

#12 ·
Back in the day when everyone rode box rims, the rims would often have a sticker on them, so that when you built a front wheel, the hub label and the rim label had to go in the same direction The QR always went on the left.

#19 ·
Another question regarding my Shimano front wheel.

I left just a little play when adjusting the hub preload (backed off 1/32 turn when cones made contact with bearings) When mounted on the bike with almost no QR pressure, I can feel the play by moving the rim side to side, which gives a slight knocking sensation. When I fully close the QR, I can't feel the knocking anymore. But if I seat on the bike and do the same test, there's a very small knock that can be felt when the rim is in certain positions. I guess that means I still have too much play, even if the "classic" test is conclusive?

#20 ·
i don't do a "seated" test.

if there's no play with the skewer tightened normally (not overtightened) while i'm off the bike, i'd call it good. i like a little play when wheel is mounted and skewer is loose (before tightening).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.