Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014

Is there a right direction to install a (Shimano) front wheel?

I usually install it so that the writings on the hub are not upside down when seated on the bike, but does it matters at all? I'm thinking it does not since everything seems symmetrical and my tires don't have directional thread patterns. Can the cones adjustment or locknuts be affected in any way?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    No
    No

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Usually, the quick release lever goes on the non-drive side...the side opposite the chain.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Usually, the quick release lever goes on the non-drive side...the side opposite the chain.
    Yeah I always put it there. Just realised that the rest of the wheel has been rotated for a little while, didn't seem to have any effect but I wanted to make sure.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon View Post
    I'm thinking it does not since everything seems symmetrical
    No it does not matter. The bearings work the same in both directions.
    Being symmetrical would be the only issue. If the rim is slightly off center then flipping the wheel would make your brake pads not even.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I like to match the label orientation on the front and rear hubs, OCD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The only thing that plays here is aesthetics and convention, nothing more. From that stand point:

1) QR's are always on the non-drive side.

2) The hub labels should be right side up while standing on the bike.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    The other day I helped a young lady prep her bike for a big ride. I put her front wheel on backwards. Her speedo didn't work. My cheeks were pink.

Put the skewer on the left.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    The other day I helped a young lady prep her bike for a big ride. I put her front wheel on backwards. Her speedo didn't work. My cheeks were pink.

Put the skewer on the left.
    I was wondering what the hell her wheel had to do with her swimsuit... Then I got it!

I had never put the wheel backwards when I had a magnet. But now I use Garmin speed sensor and attach it to the back wheel, so it's not a good reminder anymore.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Gee....I've always put my front QR on the right side. Just looks better that way...

But, if you have directional tires, the chevrons on the tire tread are supposed to be pointing forward.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Gee....I've always put my front QR on the right side. Just looks better that way...
    people photograph bikes from the drive side.... looks cleaner without the quick release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Banned forever.....or not
    Back in the day when everyone rode box rims, the rims would often have a sticker on them, so that when you built a front wheel, the hub label and the rim label had to go in the same direction The QR always went on the left.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    people photograph bikes from the drive side.... looks cleaner without the quick release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, I'm right-handed, and it's just easier for me that way-hold the bike with the left hand while I tighten it.

a real member's member
    i place the front skewer lever on the drive-side. i just like seeing one skewer lever (front) and one skewer nut (rear) from the drive-side. rim labels always face the drive side. hub labels are right side up when looking down on them. tire labels are always centered over the valve stem, drive-side.

and some tires are directional.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Fecal indicator
    Well, I'm right-handed, and it's just easier for me that way-hold the bike with the left hand while I tighten it.
    I'm right-handed as well, it's no problem to have the QR on the left side.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    I'm right-handed as well, it's no problem to have the QR on the left side.
    Well, here's the deal:

I take my bike (sans front wheel) off my Yakima rack, fit the front wheel on the ground, holding the bike from the non-drive side (to keep from getting chain marks on my leg), and bend over the bike to tighten the QR lever. If the lever were on the left side, I'd have to either tighten it with my left hand, or else hold the bike away from myself while tightening the lever, making it difficult to keep the wheel aligned in the fork while tightening. So the lever stays on the drive side for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Well, here's the deal:

I take my bike (sans front wheel) off my Yakima rack, fit the front wheel on the ground, holding the bike from the non-drive side (to keep from getting chain marks on my leg), and bend over the bike to tighten the QR lever. If the lever were on the left side, I'd have to either tighten it with my left hand, or else hold the bike away from myself while tightening the lever, making it difficult to keep the wheel aligned in the fork while tightening. So the lever stays on the drive side for me.
    Bizarre. You shouldn't have to align the front wheel in the fork - it should be centered in the fork with the bike sitting on the ground and the QR open. You either have a bent fork or a dished front wheel.

And yes, somehow virtually the entire rest of the world has figured out how to easily tighten the front QR when it is on the left side of the bike.

a real member's member
    ... making it difficult to keep the wheel aligned in the fork while tightening...
    is your fork out of alignment?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Another question regarding my Shimano front wheel.

I left just a little play when adjusting the hub preload (backed off 1/32 turn when cones made contact with bearings) When mounted on the bike with almost no QR pressure, I can feel the play by moving the rim side to side, which gives a slight knocking sensation. When I fully close the QR, I can't feel the knocking anymore. But if I seat on the bike and do the same test, there's a very small knock that can be felt when the rim is in certain positions. I guess that means I still have too much play, even if the "classic" test is conclusive?

a real member's member

I left just a little play when adjusting the hub preload (backed off 1/32 turn when cones made contact with bearings) When mounted on the bike with almost no QR pressure, I can feel the play by moving the rim side to side, which gives a slight knocking sensation. When I fully close the QR, I can't feel the knocking anymore. But if I seat on the bike and do the same test, there's a very small knock that can be felt when the rim is in certain positions. I guess that means I still have too much play, even if the "classic" test is conclusive?
    i don't do a "seated" test.

if there's no play with the skewer tightened normally (not overtightened) while i'm off the bike, i'd call it good. i like a little play when wheel is mounted and skewer is loose (before tightening).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    i don't do a "seated" test.

if there's no play with the skewer tightened normally (not overtightened) while i'm off the bike, i'd call it good. i like a little play when wheel is mounted and skewer is loose (before tightening).
    I know it's not very usual. But I tought I felt a very very faint knocking sensation out of the bike in some rim positions, but wasn't sure. It occurred to me that what really mattered is how the hub behaves when the bike is actually in use, so I tried this test. Knocking is more perceptible, but still pretty faint.

RoadBikeReview Member

There should be just a bit of play before tightening the QR. That should go away when tightened and you should not feel it while riding. If you do, you are still too loose.

All this trial and error preload adjustment is now no longer necessary with the Ultegra 6800 or Dura Ace 9000 hubs.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    There should be just a bit of play before tightening the QR. That should go away when tightened and you should not feel it while riding. If you do, you are still too loose.

All this trial and error preload adjustment is now no longer necessary with the Ultegra 6800 or Dura Ace 9000 hubs.
    My hub is a RS81, so same as Ultegra and Dura Ace. From my limited experience, it's still a bit trial and error... If I leave no play at all when finger tightening, the bearings feel a bit rough when mounted in the bike. Also seems like rear hub is a bit more affected by QR pressure and needs a tad more play than the front hub.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My hub is a RS81, so same as Ultegra and Dura Ace. From my limited experience, it's still a bit trial and error... If I leave no play at all when finger tightening, the bearings feel a bit rough when mounted in the bike. Also seems like rear hub is a bit more affected by QR pressure and needs a tad more play than the front hub.
    Are you sure the RS81 has the current 6800 Ultegra hub? It may be the previous 6700 generation which didn't have that feature.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Are you sure the RS81 has the current 6800 Ultegra hub? It may be the previous 6700 generation which didn't have that feature.
    RS80 was the old generation. RS81 has the digital cone adjustment. No need for wrenches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast