Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I think you're both exaggerating just a tad? I'd say 10 minutes per bike is reasonable if you are doing it correctly as in a drop on each link, not just a quick continuous squirt while running the chain backwards. Every 500 miles is all you need, sooner if you get caught in the rain. No need to remove chain.

Hammer, don't take CX's sharp responses too seriously. He knows his s#!t so we put up with his barking. He's right about wiping the chain immediately after applying. Remember that lube only does any good on the inside of the rollers. Any lube on the outside of the chain is only good for one thing - attracting dirt. If you wait too long after lubing before wiping, the volatile cleaning solvents will have evaporated leaving only the thick lubricant which will then be sticky. Once again, follow Mike's advice.
    No, not exaggerating at all. A minute per bike at the longest. My comment about waiting too long was meant to be 'waiting too long between applications' and the lube would be drying up and then get hard to wipe off before the next application. I don't know of any lube that would dry up in a few minutes or even a few hours after being applied.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    For a road bike in generally good weather on decent roads with some moisture here and there Rock N Roll Gold. Cleans and lubes easily and very efficiently. Attracts little dirt of any type.

For dry clean weather Rock N Roll Dry.

Just wipe your chain after rides, (not a messy chore.)

I've never used a better product for the conditions I describe and I don't even consider anything else. Rock N Roll is for me as near to perfection it can be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Squirt now Smoove for me. I feel the chain runs smoother longer than Dumonde Tech lite and Prolink which I used for years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I use chain saw bar lube with a little mineral spirit, I use to get about 2000 miles out of a chain, but know get about 3500. Like others have said you still need to wipe the chain after applying an after a few rides, I reapply about once every month. This is a version of Mike T method, you can also use syn motor oil.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    No, we're just talking about wiping down the chain between lubes.

In response to.... "just get to making myself spend a few hours one weekend morning, every weekend, walking around ragging them all"
    Oh good grief! If you guys are really worried about a little grunge in between lubes, me thinks you need to get out and ride your bikes more.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Oh good grief! If you guys are really worried about a little grunge in between lubes, me thinks you need to get out and ride your bikes more.
    We're not. That was the point. You didn't follow the discussion

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    We're not. That was the point. You didn't follow the discussion
    ^This^ The point is that it takes less than 10 seconds to wipe a chain off between applications of lube. If you can't find 6-7 seconds to care for your chain you need to do some serious life evaluations. Or admit you're just lazy and don't care.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    ^This^ The point is that it takes less than 10 seconds to wipe a chain off between applications of lube. If you can't find 6-7 seconds to care for your chain you need to do some serious life evaluations. Or admit you're just lazy and don't care.
    Well if you follow Mike T.'s WD-40 soaked rag method, it takes 5 seconds to spray the rag. Whole job I would put at around 30 seconds.

But I'll admit I'm lazy and don't care that much. As long as the chain isn't noisy or I didn't get caught in the rain, I just wait till the next lube.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12