RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Thinking about upgrading pedals

A few years ago, I went from Keo pedals to Keo2Max. I really like the increased platform for comfort, control, and stability.

I'm thinking about upgrading again. I'm looking for a pedal that is:
    easy to clip in,
    stable,
    comfortable,
    light,
    stays upright.

At first I was looking at the Keo Blade Carbon CR, but I haven't seen any reviews, and I read some negative reviews about the Keo Blade 2 Carbon.

I'm also looking at the Ultegra 6800 pedals. I like Shimano components, so I figure their pedals must be of a similar quality.

Any thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Do you really mean "upgrade" or actually mean "get something new just for the heck of it"?

Shimano pedals are great. But I don't think they'll do anything for you that your current ones aren't. I don't know much about the Keo blade but suspect the same. What issue are you trying to address?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Mostly, I just find that the Keos hang upside down. Also, they can be a little noisy and a little sloppy. If I can get a bigger platform, that would be a plus as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Shimano pedals definitely will no be noisy or sloppy for a very long time. I had a pair of 6700 pedals for about 30K miles and they were just starting to have more float than originally. I thought they were getting sloppy at some point before that but it was actually just the cleats.

They are weighted well go always hang in a good position to get into. But some people never quite get the hang of it. I've never used them but for absolute easy of getting in I hear speed play is tops. Other issues to consider with those though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm a Campy-phile. I've used their pedals for years, and would not change. I like them.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    Mostly, I just find that the Keos hang upside down. Also, they can be a little noisy and a little sloppy. If I can get a bigger platform, that would be a plus as well.
    How old are they? Has this always been the case? Maybe they need to be cleaned and lubed and new cleats.

I've never had a problem with mine not hanging right where they need to.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I've never used them but for absolute easy of getting in I hear speed play is tops. Other issues to consider with those though.
    Can confirm, used Speedplays and they are indeed absolutely easy to get into and plenty of float if that's your cup of tea. I do think they are kinda heavy though (combined weight of the cleats and the pedals) and require periodic greasing.

Lately I have been riding Shimano PD-5800's on my commuter and PD-7800's on my other bike. Bit of a learning curve and there are some days when I get a false positive clip ins but not bad overall.