RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

Thomson 25.4 stem compatible with 26 bar?

Building up a commuter/overall bike bike, have an old 26mm bar I really like, need a 1-1/8" 130mm 15d-to-17d stem for it. Anyone know if I can use a Thomson25.4 mountain stem with a 26mm or 25.8mm road bar?

Also been looking on ebay w/o any luck for a an older 26mm thomson road stem, anyone know where I might be able to pick up an older 130mm 15d 26mm stem?

Looking for a thomson or ricthey wcs stem for this build.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spepic
    Anyone know if I can use a Thomson25.4 mountain stem with a 26mm or 25.8mm road bar?

Also been looking on ebay w/o any luck for a an older 26mm thomson road stem, anyone know where I might be able to pick up an older 130mm 15d 26mm stem?
    Absolutely not, while you could shim a smaller bar for larger stem, the opposite as in your case is a 100% no go.

BTW- I have a bunch of new Thomson road stems for 26mm bars. I'll PM you tomorrow about the length and angle options.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    BTW- I have a bunch of new Thomson road stems for 26mm bars. I'll PM you tomorrow about the length and angle options.
    Cool thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spepic
    Building up a commuter/overall bike bike, have an old 26mm bar I really like, need a 1-1/8" 130mm 15d-to-17d stem for it.
    I do have X4 26mm stems of the old design, in 130mm. The angle choices are 5 or -10. Both come in black or silver)

The negative means the angle is down with the name right side up. Either can be inverted, but the name will be upside down.

Assuming you're in the USA, I want $69.00 including postage. BTW- I have many more old 26mm Thomsons, in most lengths, (all new in bag) so anyone else interested is free to email me at fb at the chain-L site.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Interested in a stem

If you still have any around, I'm interested in a black 5 degree x 90mm 25.4
    dennis 503.860.2095