RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

Thomson silver with brushed titanium frame

Ok, this goes into the category of spending too much time looking down at my bike while watching Coach Troy on the DVD but does the Thomson silver components match, at least somewhat, brushed titanium?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookbiker
    Ok, this goes into the category of spending too much time looking down at my bike while watching Coach Troy on the DVD but does the Thomson silver components match, at least somewhat, brushed titanium?

Thanks
    Depends on how sensitive your color judgment is.

Brushed titanium usually has a yellowish cast to it, while the Thomson stems and most silver anodized components are very neutral gray, much whiter than titanium.

I don't like near misses in color matching (personal bias) so I'd avoid it by going with a black stem instead.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I have exactly that combination and far prefer it to the black. I also run polished and anodised aluminium alloy brakes, crankset and derailleurs ( Campy C record, including Delta brakes, not available in any other colour)

Titanium is a distinctly different colour from aluminium and in my opinion they are far enough apart to be a deliberate contrast rather than a near miss.

corning my own beef
    pretty poor photo, but it'll give you a rough idea....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I really like the muted color combo of Ti with silver.
    My old Merlin mtb was like that.
    Silver everything with removed stickers.
    Left everyone guessing.

Mehpic
    i had a seven duo 29er with the brushed frame and had silver thompson parts on it. looked great!
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    As long as it works fine and isn't too odd.............Does it really matter? Is it a show bike or a bike you ride?
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    I'm not sure if they make a seatpost to match, but Deda offers a their Zero stem and handlebar in a finish that is very close to ti. I thin they call it "dark metal" or something like that.

Yo no fui.

Here's a picture of my bike ...

... with a silver Thompson stem, before I replaced it with a ti stem. I think the seatpost and stem should match, though silver works well with ti. By the way, the Deda "metal" colora is what my handlebars are, and it does not really match either ti or aluminum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thomson silver with brushed titanium frame-imgp2539-.jpg  
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    As long as it works fine and isn't too odd.............Does it really matter? Is it a show bike or a bike you ride?

I ride plenty- rain and sleet, etc but now that I'm indoors for the winter, time to tinker between sessions on the rollers.