RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

Thorn Resistant tubes...worth it?

I live in an area that has a lot of goat heads during the summer months. My LBS suggested I install a TR tube in my rear wheel since, the rear is more of a hassle to change when getting a flat. I did this, and noticed the weight difference right away. Now, I would obviously not race with a TR tube installed, but I was just wondering how many of you use them to train with and prevent flats. Could the little extra weight be beneficial in training? Do TR tubes really help in preventing flats that much, or am I better off just getting a higher quality tire instead?

duh...
    when I lived in a goathead laden area I used TR tubes AND Mr Tuffy liners

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Your first line of defense is your tires, though.

Lots of options that are touted as "puncture-resistant."

I've had pretty good luck with Conti Gatorskins, personally.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Never have used them. I shy away for ultra light tubes. A beefier tire is your best defense. And have a good inflation system and pack a couple of spare tubes. The goat thorns are a seasonable problem. I get the flats during the summer and early fall.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    When I was in southern New Mexico, People at a minimum rode Specialized Armadillo or Conti Gatorskins on the road and some of the more paranoid (or sensible) folks had slime or No Tubes sealant in their tubes as well, due to the goat heads in those parts.

Off-road, I would say it is almost a necessity even when racing to have Tuffy liners and Stan's sealant in there to give you an opportunity to get back home or to the finish line instead of walking and yes, the weight difference is noticeable but not as much you trying to walk in your cycling shoes

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1

Good tires and tire liners. Other tires include Panaracer Pasela TG (TourGuard) and Ruffy Tuffy from Panaracer/Rivendell. I like my Mr. Tuffys too. One caveat on them, though. The end of a Mr Tuffy can chafe through a tube if run too long at an under-inflated tire pressure.

I like Mr Tuffys. I think the name is about as dumb a name of any bike product...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    When I was in southern New Mexico, People at a minimum rode Specialized Armadillo or Conti Gatorskins on the road and some of the more paranoid (or sensible) folks had slime or No Tubes sealant in their tubes as well, due to the goat heads in those parts.

Off-road, I would say it is almost a necessity even when racing to have Tuffy liners and Stan's sealant in there to give you an opportunity to get back home or to the finish line instead of walking and yes, the weight difference is noticeable but not as much you trying to walk in your cycling shoes

Radical
    I view it this way: Anything that's going to go through a Kevlar-belt on a tire - sure as heck will make short work out of a tube. Unless it's filled with steel-shot. Put your money into your tires.