RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Threaded BB options for BB386 shell

I'm kinda fed up dealing with the press fit bottom bracket on my Litespeed L3 frame that has the BB386 shell. I've found the Enduro TorqTite (https://www.endurobearings.com/technology/torqtite/) which has an internal threaded sleeve on each cup to allow tightening together without pressing into the frame. Wheels Manufacturing has a similar product and is less expensive.

Anyone have experience with these products or others that you may recommend?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    KCNC and Praxis make threaded adapters as well. Not sure if they have BB386.

Any of these options are good. The threaded BB adapters all work well. I've installed a Wheels Mfg adapter. Would recommend.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks tlg!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Make sure whichever BB you choose will work with your frame. I tried to install a WheelsMFG threaded BB into my BH Ultralight (386evo). On the inside of the bottom bracket area on my frame is a boss, for where the cover screws into on the bottom of the frame. The WheelsMFG does not 'step down' at all in the center, and so the boss would prevent it from being installed.

I ended up going with the Enduro bearings, which does step down in the center enough to clear the boss. It was expensive though. $200 for the bracket itself, and then another $40 (!), for the wrench to install it. They say you need two wrenches, but for how expensive they were, I took my chances with just one wrench. There was enough friction in the system to prevent the other side from spinning, by holding it by my hand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks Cartoscro. I don't think there is anything in the way inside the BB shell in my frame, which leads me to think the Wheels manufacturing option would work and also a more economical option. Do you recall if it needed a special wrench too?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I don't recall exactly, but I think it took a more common BB wrench size. The size for the Enduro was proprietary.

coaster
    Have your frame threaded for T47 cups. They're basically threaded BB386/PF30 cups. That's the lightest, most elegant solution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks but I'm doing my own wrenching and I'm not that ambitious. Maybe my next bike will come threaded for T47.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Have your frame threaded for T47 cups. They're basically threaded BB386/PF30 cups. That's the lightest, most elegant solution.
    Doesn't offer any advantage over a threaded adapter BB. Other than saving 20g. At the risk of having your frame screwed up and voiding the warranty.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Doesn't offer any advantage over a threaded adapter BB. Other than saving 20g. At the risk of having your frame screwed up and voiding the warranty.
    I was going to say something similar. Having a frame threaded in the field is a different thing to having a frame built with a precision pre-threaded BB shell.

The tooling and expertise needed may not be that easy to come by. There's more to it than a simple "face and chase" job.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    I was going to say something similar. Having a frame threaded in the field is a different thing to having a frame built with a precision pre-threaded BB shell.

The tooling and expertise needed may not be that easy to come by. There's more to it than a simple "face and chase" job.
    And the frame is carbon. Which means you'd have no idea how thick the BB insert is. It may not even be thick enough to safely thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks all. I ordered the Wheels Manufacturing EVO386 BB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    And the frame is carbon. Which means you'd have no idea how thick the BB insert is. It may not even be thick enough to safely thread.
    Litespeed makes carbon frames?? The horror.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Litespeed makes carbon frames?? The horror.
    Haha! Got a good deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    The Wheels Manufacturing bottom bracket came today. It installed with ease. The crank set install was just as easy.

With the pressed in (plastic FSA) cups and bearings that came on the bike, the cranks spun with too much resistance. I don't think the bearings on each side of the BB were parallel. The spindle never went through all the way. I tried in vain to tap it in with a rubber mallet. It eventually worked, but it seemed to tighten/compress the bearing cartridge and you could feel the resistance when turning the cranks.

This is a much better setup now. It's more of a precise fit and the cranks spin easy. The only fuss was adjusting the front derailleur to align with the new/correct position of the rings.

Thanks for taking me through the decision process!