RoadBikeReview Member

Thru axle conversion - Sram X9

So I have grown weary of my cross bike (CooperCX). Really bad heel clearance due to S bends and generally a sluggish heavy bike. thinking of moving to a NIner carbon CX frame, but not if I gotta buy wheels too. Mine has all QR9mm, but also hydro disc brakes (Deore calipers, but I also have some flat mount calipers lying around too). Wheels are VeloCity with X9 hubs. I think my rear is 135mm (had to grind down the freehub body to fit Ultegra11 cassette recently). The niner is I believe 15mm front, 12mm rear TAs.

I see there are some axle kits fo rthe x9 hubs here: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=52096

or is this conversion not a thing?

Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 03-02-2017 at 05:52 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    You should be able to do it for @ $50. These guys have free shipping and good prices.

SRAM Rise 40, 700 Series and X.9 15mm Front Axle Kit | 365 Cycles

SRAM Rise 40 and X.9 12x 142mm Axle Kit | 365 Cycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harryman View Post
    You should be able to do it for @ $50. These guys have free shipping and good prices.

SRAM Rise 40, 700 Series and X.9 15mm Front Axle Kit | 365 Cycles

SRAM Rise 40 and X.9 12x 142mm Axle Kit | 365 Cycles
    hey thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    OP be vigilant in the niner bsb you buy. Niner just changed to thru axles front and rear last year. Prior years had thru front and QR rear. IOW, if you buy a frame online make sure it is thru rear - not all of them are.

Niner's usual progression of offering new designs is thru front and QR rear. Their marketing material says the QR rear is nearly as stiff and easier/less cost to consumer/etc. After a couple years, they change the rear QR to thru axle and say it is stiffer and better than QR. I have seen them follow this path for years in mountain bikes and now in gravel/cx bikes.

Also, if you are interested in a brand new model don't expect actual availability for four to six months after they say the frame will be available. IME (I own 2 niners), you have to pre-order and wait a month or two after the first expected delivery to actually get the bike. If you are not one of the few who pre-ordered via a large volume distributor, you are not going to be able to get a bike for about six months after marketing says it will be available.
    Last edited by crit_boy; 03-03-2017 at 05:41 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Call SRAM customer service and verify before buying that kit. I'm fairly certain the QR version of the X9 hub cannot be converted to TA due to them using different hub shells. The QR version uses smaller bearings that have an ID smaller than the TA you want to use and the shells are too small to accept the bearings you would need to do so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    Call SRAM customer service and verify before buying that kit. I'm fairly certain the QR version of the X9 hub cannot be converted to TA due to them using different hub shells. The QR version uses smaller bearings that have an ID smaller than the TA you want to use and the shells are too small to accept the bearings you would need to do so.
    yeah, I notice in all the sites selling the TA kits, they specifically say not for retrofitting to change axle size and width.

So maybe I look into the PlanetX carbon cross frame instead, still avail in QR F&R. I know a big step down from Niner