Frog Whisperer

Tick, Tick, Tick

I have been riding Campy for decades now and 2 of the three bikes are absolutely perfect. (square taper on the other 2) BUT my Waterford has developed at tick coming from the bottom bracket as the right side comes over the top (about 11:30) and the left is 180 degrees (obviously) It ONLY occurs when I am up on the pedals with my maximum force on the pedals. It does not always do it either. A lot of digging turned up this article regarding Ultra Torque and the hirth joint they used. (10 speed)

Campagnolo Ultra Torque Problem? - RogueMechanic

As this sound was not always evident, is it possible that the bearings are a bit worn and new bearings would stop the ticking?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

a real member's member
    no harm in overhauling the bb, right?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    no harm in overhauling the bb, right?
    No harm indeed, BUT if it doesn't solve the problem, seems like a waste pf time and money. Like that article says to check, I squeezed the left crank arm and down tube and I can hear and feel the popping from the wavy washer deflecting.

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Frog Whisperer
    although I did just order a new wavy-washer, maybe the old one is weak (worn out?) I do have 18,000 miles on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Sounds like your crank arm hitting the FD wire/end cap thingy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    That's what I was going to say.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tick, Tick, Tick-img_1689.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    That's what I was going to say.
    Nope, that isn't it, if it was, the crank arm would have to be deflecting a good 1/2 inch and quite frankly, I am just not that strong!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I have been riding Campy for decades now and 2 of the three bikes are absolutely perfect. (square taper on the other 2) BUT my Waterford has developed at tick coming from the bottom bracket as the right side comes over the top (about 11:30) and the left is 180 degrees (obviously) It ONLY occurs when I am up on the pedals with my maximum force on the pedals. It does not always do it either. A lot of digging turned up this article regarding Ultra Torque and the hirth joint they used. (10 speed)

Campagnolo Ultra Torque Problem? - RogueMechanic

As this sound was not always evident, is it possible that the bearings are a bit worn and new bearings would stop the ticking?
    Be very careful putting too much into what Rogue Mechanic has to say. He spent some time on this site and let's just say his claims were cut to ribbons by people who knew better.

Clicks can be hard to diagnose. Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from
    - BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, all metal to metal contact surfaces, and torque to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), the faces of tapered BB axles if they have a little corrosion
    - bolt holding the BB cable guide onto the frame (grease threads and make sure the bolt is not touching the BB shell inside the frame)
    - crank bolts (grease threads and washers)
    - chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms)
    - a dirty chain, inadequately lubed chain, stiff link in a chain or a burr on one of the "break off" special links used to assemble the chain
    - front derailleur clamp (clean and put a light film of grease on the inside of the clamp where it touches the seat tube)
    - front derailleur cage hitting crank arm
    - the pedals (grease the threads and the shoulders of the axle where it butts against the crank arm, get some wax, silicone etc. on the cleats, check for play in the bearings, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible)
    - shoes/cleats - loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface, cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals (wax lube, silicone, or furniture polish)
    - seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post clamp, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body)
    - bars and stem (grease the stem where it clamps to steerer or goes into the steerer if quill type, top cap, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem)
    - grease/tighten QRs and where the hub axle contacts the frame
    - tighten cassette lock ring, grease cassette hub body and cassette spacers
    - grease steerer tube spacers (if threadless)
    - replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble)
    - any other bolt (bottle cages, derailleur clamps, derailleur bolts, shift cable casing stops, etc.)
    - cables hitting the frame (cable donuts), or shifting in their end ferrules (lube contact points).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Be very careful putting too much into what Rogue Mechanic has to say. He spent some time on this site and let's just say his claims were cut to ribbons by people who knew better.

Clicks can be hard to diagnose. Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from
    - BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, all metal to metal contact surfaces, and torque to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), the faces of tapered BB axles if they have a little corrosion
    - bolt holding the BB cable guide onto the frame (grease threads and make sure the bolt is not touching the BB shell inside the frame)
    - crank bolts (grease threads and washers)
    - chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms)
    - a dirty chain, inadequately lubed chain, stiff link in a chain or a burr on one of the "break off" special links used to assemble the chain
    - front derailleur clamp (clean and put a light film of grease on the inside of the clamp where it touches the seat tube)
    - front derailleur cage hitting crank arm
    - the pedals (grease the threads and the shoulders of the axle where it butts against the crank arm, get some wax, silicone etc. on the cleats, check for play in the bearings, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible)
    - shoes/cleats - loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface, cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals (wax lube, silicone, or furniture polish)
    - seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post clamp, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body)
    - bars and stem (grease the stem where it clamps to steerer or goes into the steerer if quill type, top cap, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem)
    - grease/tighten QRs and where the hub axle contacts the frame
    - tighten cassette lock ring, grease cassette hub body and cassette spacers
    - grease steerer tube spacers (if threadless)
    - replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble)
    - any other bolt (bottle cages, derailleur clamps, derailleur bolts, shift cable casing stops, etc.)
    - cables hitting the frame (cable donuts), or shifting in their end ferrules (lube contact points).
    This is a good list, and it reminds me why I hate diagnosing ticks and clicks so much!

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Nope, that isn't it, if it was, the crank arm would have to be deflecting a good 1/2 inch and quite frankly, I am just not that strong!

You wouldn't happen to be riding with old-school lace-up cycling shoes, would you? Hint--check your laces.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    You wouldn't happen to be riding with old-school lace-up cycling shoes, would you? Hint--check your laces.
    BOA.... so nope...LOL

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Rogue Mechanic? That guy is an idiot. He probably still swears up and down that the UT system has a basic design flaw, but he's the only guy that has that problem. The problem could be worn bearings, they can click when worn. I doubt the wave washer is worn out, it's a simple spring that just sits there, the only time springs wear/fatigue is when they're compressed or released, not when static.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Rogue Mechanic? That guy is an idiot. He probably still swears up and down that the UT system has a basic design flaw, but he's the only guy that has that problem. The problem could be worn bearings, they can click when worn. I doubt the wave washer is worn out, it's a simple spring that just sits there, the only time springs wear/fatigue is when they're compressed or released, not when static.
    Yeah I am going to throw bearings on it, maybe cups too, but I have some big irons on the fire right now, and will be of the bike for 2 weeks, which wil be a good time to do it.